gauges not working along with blinkers

hey all,

i bought a 240 on wensday and drove it home about 20 mins from hwre i bought it. well my GF followed me since i didnt swap the registation or anything over yet and just wanted her to follow just in case.

so anyways she called my cell once we hit the highway and told me my blinkers wherent working, so i looked at the gauges when i hit the blinkers, and the speedo and tach are not working either.

im thinking fuses, but it raining out right now so i thought i would get some input from you guys who know these cars better then me.

where should i start? im guessing check the fuses, then the bulbs, if they both are ok then what for the blinkers?

and the speedo and tach? speedo i know after the fuses i should check the speed sensor in the side of the trans right? what about that tach? i dont even know where to start.

any help would be great, im at work, and have been looking threw the tech section all day and cant find anything like this problem.

edit- i forgot to say the dash lights come on when i turn on the headlights if that helps

thanks guys,

Rob Barron

more details, please…

S13 or S14?
HUD?

do your signals (little green arrows) on the cluster blink at all?
do your hazards work?
does your fuel gauge and temp. guage work?
do the dummy lights come on when your key is in the “ON” position before you start the car?

help us help you.

K

if it was certified when u bought the car take it to the shop where it was certified…a certification is good for 35 days which i beleive means everything should be in working order

hey guys thanks for the replys.

sorry i forgot that to include the info you asked for.

S13 or S14? its s13
HUD? no HUD, its a hatch

do your signals (little green arrows) on the cluster blink at all? no they dont

do your hazards work? no they dont either
does your fuel gauge and temp. guage work? fuel guage seems to work.
i put gas in it, and it went up, dont know if its right but it seems to work.

do the dummy lights come on when your key is in the “ON” position before you start the car? no i dont belife they do, but ill check when i go home, all that lights up is the dash when i flick the lights on.

i hope thats the info you guys need.

and the car was safety inspected (im in NB, thats what we call it) 4 months ago, but i didnt notice till i got home the dick took the sticker off, so i have to get that done again, another $17.25 i got to put out lol.

Rob Barron

anyone?

Recheck fuses then…

Check for loose/rusted ground(-) cables / contacts.

You could also measure the voltage between + of the accessory and any solid ground point (chassis) to see if the current actually flows when you turn it on.

If that works, next - take it further to confirm it’s bad grounding: just strap a decent wire to the chassis ground or battery(-) and to the negative terminal of the accessory you are testing - i.e. in the case of headlights - the ground plate. (yeah make sure it’s negative so you don’t burn sh00t or do some funky “arc” welding 8) )

One time I met a guy near a CT who got stuck with mazda 323 - his lights didn’t come on - traced it down to a bad ground near the fuse box.

Just keep tracing back until you find out where the voltage / ground breaks - either harness or bad contact - I might be wrong but from the sounds of it - it’s ground wire - check to see if any obvious harness connectors have loosened up while you’re at it.

If you need some help PM is your friend (where did I pick that line up :werd: )

thanks for the help guys, looks like i know what ill be doing this week.
im going to say its a fuse more then likely. since the lights for the dash come on, but the tach nor the speedo do anything, and the lights for the blinkers dont come on, nor do the blinkers, so im going to start there and then start tracing back the grounds and the harness.

thanks again guys,

Rob

most likely a ground wire is messsed, also check the terminals on your battery. this same thing happened to my bros 240.