GED people, step in

Because staying in school and not being able to work all the hours I worked would have made me very poor by the time I was considered a legal adult that needed to have money.

The extra 70k really helps from 15 - 18.

We all come from different walks of life. There’s nothing wrong with making the best of what you have and looking forward in the area of self improvement. It’s never a bad idea to make good decisions.

truth.

i didnt know anything about the ged “tabe” test til last week. The sarasota county police department (florida) requires that every applicant take it even though they require a high school diploma and 60 credit hours which is retarded but whatever. I actualy bought the book to study and take the practice exams and it was a complete waste of money, i aced every practice exam. I have to take the “A” one, its the hardest one i guess. I also have to get a 10.0 on all three parts (reading, language and math). Its out of like 12.9 or somethin tho so i guess it will be somewhat challenging considering i have to get a high score but it seems like it will be the easiest thing ive ever done.

Wait what?
I was saying english in math are much more useful than social studies lol…

My father has been welding for 30 years. He has only had two minor issues with his eyes and one of them was his own fault. Take that for what it’s worth.

ugh.

what about science?

for that matter, what about foreign language? computer skills/programming? tech ed? MUSIC???

you know what though…it’s not even worth arguing the point…

Whoa.

so much fail in this thread…

:tup: to higher education

:lol:

So I read this study guide that went over the basics. It brought back alot of old memories of school.

It also made me hate how there is a symbol for everything, instead of just calling it how it is.

The irony of any panic that I had was that shit like this 2(y-4)= FRED

returns itself to basic function inorder to solve it, and it could have easily been written in basic function. It also added to my argument that you dont use half the shit they teach you in school outside of school.

Basic function, science, english and history should be the only classes and you can bang it out in alot less than 14 years.

I took the plunge signed up for the test, I should be able to pass it guessing, but I feel atleast partially confident, considering I’ve been out of school a LONG time now.

I took it and passed this summer. Math is the hardest part I thought simply because of the time constraints.

Skip what you don’t know, come back to it, worked for me. Math is one of those sections where you can work your way to the answer, but there isn’t a whole of time to do it. The other sections had everyone finishing early because they were “know it or don’t” sections.

Test layout (sourced from NYS Department of Education) My test wasn’t taken in this order, you can either sign up for the 2-day test or the full 8-9 hour day with a lunch and breaks in between, my group finished up early though because we didn’t use all the allotted time for each section.

Language Arts-Writing. The scores from these two sections are combined to give the Writing Test Score. The sections are not reported separately.

Part I: Multiple Choice (50 questions, 75 minutes)

Part II: Essay (one essay, 45 minutes)

Language Arts-Reading (40 questions, 65 minutes)

Social Studies (50 questions, 70 minutes)

Science (50 questions, 80 minutes)

Language Arts-Reading (40 questions, 65 minutes)

Mathematics

Part I: with calculator (25 questions, 45 minutes)

Part II: without calculator (25 questions, 45 minutes)

Advice I can give you:

Take it sooner rather than later, They delayed the 2010 revamp of the test so that helps you out. Not sure when it will go into effect but it was going to beef up the difficulty even more than they have since the last revamp.

Learn how to use the “official GED” calculator, its a Casio fx-260. the math is done with it and as long as you know how to use the formulas, your good to go. This is something I wish I learned before the night before the test. Probably would’ve done better if I could remember some of the buttons.

The “by hand” section does a good job of testing your basic match skills and throws some decimals and fractions at you. I got lucky on this section because half of it was using a formula to determine hardwood floor cost and the terminology made me feel comfortable with the test. However multiplying 342.064x56.1 had me stumped because for what ever reason for a 2 minute period my mind blanked out how to do multiplication with decimals. Didn’t help that I was scared to death of this section and I noticed time was running short, but once I calmed down all my knowledge came flooding back.

I Scored perfect in Science, mainly because if you understand the concepts, the answers are all in the questions.

The essay, as long you keep on topic and organize it will should be easy also. Real opened ended, basically asked me to write about a time in my life when I had to stand up for something.

Like you I was pretty good at school when I dropped out, ultimately I blame myself (was pride thing really) but there were other factors too. Didn’t do well in English and I got mad because it seemed they were pushing the minorities through on time allowing double English classes and such and I was told over and over “it wasn’t policy”, so I said f-this and started working learning the basics of the building trades.

I should have just finished up a year or two late, but I wouldn’t have had the money for college right away anyway and would have been in the same boat. Instead I’ve learned skills for life, just worked out that way.

Long post I know but I started typing and just kept going.

thanks for that, I’ll have to learn the calculator. my test is saturday.

one last question, is it pass or fail, or do places actually care how you scored?

pretty much pass or fail, Colleges however look at them from what I was told.

i took 6 years of advanced spanish… i didnt say it wasnt important
to get you by in life, math and english are most important

You learned computer programming in highschool? I took a college course with some type of program for designing (i think it was called Inventor9 or something). Would i suck at life if ididnt take that course in highschool? No, and it wouldn’t impact my life at all. 98% of everything i know how to do on a computer came outside of schooling.

I played an instrument for about 6 years, it also wouldnt affect my life if i didnt know how to play one, so i wouldnt consider that a neccesity.

Science is applied in life, but not so much as how you learned it in school. If your career or major is related, then yes it is important. You will not fail in life because you don’t know and chromosomes and dna structure or how sodium phosphate is created.

If you do not have the understanding of math ( banking, mortages, car payment, rent, tips at restaurants, getting change back, miles per gallon of a car, sq ft of a house, there are so many things math is applied to, and you will SUCK very badly at life if you cannot understand concepts)

If you cannot form basic sentences, you’re fucked. You will never get a decent job if you can’t use some sort of intelligence in your sentences, or if your grammar is poor, or anything else.

I know people who have passed highschool and still read at about a 7th grade level, and read extremely slow. They can’t pronounce certain words correctly, and they are absolutely terrible at math. It’s really sad to see , but they will probably not be able to get by in life because of how low of an education they have

This statement has soooooooo many funnies in it it is just great… However you can tell that the first statement is not true.

Anyone who dosent have one yet, or is thinking about it.
Go get it, its free, and its really not that bad.
Whoever said “if you can use a spoon you’ll pass” is right.

I didnt even think about the test until 4 days before the date, I looked at the site deebo posted up and thought I was going to fail hardcore.

If you can do ratios, you are golden on the math, as Ed said, learn the calculator, it will make that part of the test go easier. I didn’t, because I didnt have access to one, and couldnt really stare at it on the pc screen without losing intrest, but there is ALOT of buttons so a quick glance will help.

The breakdown scoring is simple.

You have to score a 410 in every part or you’ll be retaking that part.
However, scoring just a 410 on everypart wont net you the 2250 you need to pass.

Max score is 4000. I guessed on probabaly 12 math questions thru the 2 parts.
I was the first one done and out the door, they let us take the last 3 parts one after another without waiting inbetween.
Test starts at 8:45 they made us get there by 8am. I was out the door at 2pm.

I scored a 3030, not bad I guess after being out of school 7 years, and not really studying, I looked at the site deebo posted like 3 times, total time maybe 2 hrs.

It came in the mail on friday, and it was satisfying, to say the least.

congrats. now what?

Congrats now your qualified to work at McDonalds :lol:

seriously though whats next?

I’m tossing the idea between a 2 year community college and just going to trade school.
I really need to think it out properly, because its an investment that I dont want to have to regret.

As far as work goes, I dont have any restrictions besides heavy lifting, because I had a reoccurance of the bleeding in my eye due to heavy lifting(it was like 100lbs I have no clue why, but I just cant do it, makes being this giant guy half way useless)

I’m not apposed to doing anything, I just don’t want to pay to go to school and end up in an oversaturated job market. That was the reason I started the income thread.