General PC3 Question

Hey all, I just ordered and installed my PC3 on my 2003 zx6r. Installation was a breeze and loading the map was cake, but heres my question.

I have a two brothers slip on and stock airfilter, and loaded the map from the powercommander software for this slipon. I have yet to ride the bike because its still a very cold 30 degrees but did start it up to see how it ran and this is what I have found.

It took longer to start than normal, and once it came up to temperature, I proceeded to rev the motor and found a good amount of black smoke being emitted from the exhaust.

Now I work on cars for a living, and know that this is due to the richer fuel mixture (very obvious on my turbo disi car), but i wasnt really expecting this much fuel. And I also noticed that after the black smoke came out, there was a smaller amount of smoke of a lighter color that was emitted. And you can definitly smell the extra fueling.

Is this something that is normal of a bike running an aftermarket map? I know that it will take some riding for me to see how the bike truly responded to this upgrade, but what should I look and listen for in terms of the bike not responding well? I know that lean conditions are very harmful to an engine and damage is the last thing i want to do.

I know that every bike is different and ultimately I should have a quick dyno done to the bike, but whats your experience with powercommanders pre-mapped downloads?

Thanks for any input you can give

I have no experience with PC’s but I will ask this. Is it an official map from PC? and what kind of fuel and or additive you have in your bike?

It is a map directly from dynojet, I have a slip-on and no other performance enhancing engine modifications. Running 93 octane because is more consistantly available than 91.

May be other member with more PC experience can chime in.

How old is the gas btw? you sure no additives like fuel stabilizers?

It does have stabil in it, its a couple months old its probably been stored since november.

If that is the case, you can try drain all the gas out and put some fresh gas in and see if it makes a difference.

Now don’t take this the wrong way, this is strictly my opinion…

Whenever using a PC on a bike I would HIGHLY recommend a dyno tune or purchase the auto tune module they made also, all it requires it plugging in a usb to the PC and an O2 sensor into the exhaust (which you would need to drill a hole and weld on a bung to put the sensor on).

The problem with PC Maps you can upload is they are based on other bikes, yes they are “the same” bike with same mods but no 2 bikes run the same that’s just how it is, a big problem people have with PC’s is dead spots and rough idles or stalling.

I am actually installing a PC V and getting my ZX10R dyno tuned on April 9th because I don’t trust the maps off the site.

I dont believe that autotune is available for my model?

That Im not sure about I would check there website.

Is there someone in the area you would recommend to tune a 636 motor? I ask because I have one going in something in the near future and while the motor is stock, the exhaust is going to have to be modified a bit. Will still be using cycle parts and a slip-on or similar motorcycle can, but have to change and reroute the midpipe, which I’m sure is going to screw with the AFR’s on the thing.

I asked the same question in this thread and you can take a look at the replies, my question is on post #12.

http://shift518.com/showthread.php?t=22112

IIRc autotune is for PCV.

Why not just get the autotune if you are using PCV?

Boxersix - I personally recommend Taylor up at Moon Performance in Lake Placid which is where I am taking my bike.

Rocketpunch - The PCV can store two maps that you can switch on the fly by installing a switch and I just prefer to have it dyno tuned…I dont know much about the autotune module or how well it works and one of the tunes I want is for race gas.

Are you going to be tracking the bike? And yea if you change the mid-pipe I would highly recommend a good pump gas tune and then on track days run race gas on that tune, yes you will lose a little HP but you will keep the combustion chamber cooler which obviously you know is much better for the motor.

It’s not going in a bike :tongue

Taylor and I are good friends and I was certainly thinking of bringing it to him I was just curious if there was anyone local

AHHHHHH I see whats going on here…and I approve LOL

Yea, locally I dont really trust anyone and thats why I have an appt on April 9th with him.

Lets us know how much it cost after you are done. :thumbup

Sounds like bad gas. Or maybe because the bike sat for so long deposits formed in the fuel injectors causing the fuel not to atomize properly.

Like someone else said, put in a fresh tank of gas and maybe add a fuel injector cleaner. See how it runs after a few days of riding.

ill see how she goes on the next tank of gas… I also read that I should sync the tps with the pc3 readings… ill give that a shot too.