Get Caged at PMP - New Fox body pics!

great job :tup:

From what I’ve seen, they do awsome work. :tup: Anyone going to see my fox there be sure not to scratch the paint :lol:

can u guys do hoop cage in my 02 dodge dakota?

could you pm me a ballpark price for a race legal harness bar in my 99 civic coupe? i need my back seats or i’d be going the cage route. thanks.

Not hiring right now but things are ramping up nice for summer, we can always take someones resume for later.

We can build any roll bar or cage that you want, Id need to know more about exactly what you are looking for though.

Are you looking for a 4 point roll bar to mount your harnesses to, or one of those U shaped harness bars that are bolt-in? “Legal” in what way? Harnesses arent DOT approved and 6 point bars are the first step at the track (technically 5 point is legal but, come on).

can you do whatever is required to legally and SAFELY run harnesses for everyday use? (eliminating the OEM belts)

there are no street (DOT) legal 4 point harnesses.

! thought you use harnesses on the street?

thanks for the info!
(seriously, is there anything you don’t know?)

yes, lots.

i use them, but they aren’t DOT legal. I think harness bars are relatively safe, but if you are using race buckets w/ a harness + bar and the car rolls, goodbye neck. I’d at least look into a main hoop…

so you suggest a hoop and bar? or a 4 point? im not rolling in cash like i wish i was but id like to do it the correct way. whenever i take turns i feel like im getting tossed about in the car since im so skinny lol.

i think you need at least 4 points to get a main hoop.

Thanks a ton newman!

I’m definately going to look into getting it done this summer, when my car is finished

There are no harnesses (4pt, 5 pt) that are DOT legal…only the 3 point seatbelts that your car came with. That is not to say that the harnesses arent better when installed properly, its just a reflection on the fact that the DOT cant regulate how these other harnesses are installed.

That said, I intend on running just my harnesses on the street, because Im installing them and I know that they are safer. If I ever got a ticket for it, so be it I guess.

Now you can run those harness bars, but if thats what you want, I would probably suggest just getting a pre-made kit, as it would probably cost as much or more to make one from scratch and they dont seem to offer much in terms of design. What most guys do that dont want a track legal 6 point bar, would be to have a 4 point bar (main hoop with 2 bars back, and a cross bar on the main hoop) that can be used to mount harnesses. It would be alot more structurally sound than a harness bar, and provides some roll-over protection, but its not any more legal at the track than having nothing at all.

You can also do a 6 point roll bar with swingouts on the door bars. That is NHRA/IHRA legal to 9.99. Most of bars we are doing right now are actually 8 point, however, as it includes the two downbars to the tunnel in order to give it more lateral strength.

A roll cage (not bar) is a 10+ point that has the halo around your head and meets the door bars at your feet, usually going through your dash. Cages need to be certified, and will make your car legal to 8.50. Once you go faster than 8.50 in the 1/4, you need a 25.5spec SFI cage that has numerous other rules regarding floor supports, etc.

We are building our 8 point roll bars with 10 point upgrades in mind, and our own personal 10 point cages with 25.5 spec upgrades in mind. No sense in doing the same work twice.

Hope that helps

good info.

thanks for the good information. although i never planning on going that far to where i NEED to run a cage on the track, i plan on doing moderate things to my car. my long term goals with the car is to bring it down to a mid 12 second car at most and i also intend on auto-x’ing the car a few times. although i dont drive wrecklessley or disobey the speed limits i do have a thing for taking turns at speed, but i dont like getting tossed across the car which im sure will happen in auto-x even more so.

what would be your suggestion for what im looking for?

oh and also the car this would be going into is a 1990 eagle talon TSi FWD if it makes any difference.

thanks for your time and the info,
-Steve

On one hand, Id always recommend some kind of roll bar because its safer, helps tie the car together (better for handling and weight transfer), and gives you the best structure for mounting harnesses. On the other hand, I realize that it may be the more expensive option. But I havent seen much use of those harness bars, and I cant say I like the design idea.

Its your call on what you want to have in the car and how far you want to go, but if you want to stop down to discuss or see any of the cages going in now, that would be fine.

Are you guys doing DOM tubring only or can/do you do Chromoly bars/cages as well?

I was considering the Wolfe 6-pt for my Firebird outta moly, but seeing you guys are local I was wondering an estimate to have this done (97 Firebird, 8-pt, Chromoly, with both swingouts). Oh, and keeping a full interior in the car; so the adjustments to keep the bars damn close to the interior panels but still being able to have the panels there.

Is there a reason you wanted chromoly? Its usually for the weight savings, but you dont save as much as you would think, especially on a 6/8 point bar. Chromoly has some disadvantages for street use. But we do have a tig and can do chromoly as well if thats whats called for.

It would be no problem keeping all of your interior panels, same as ChrisH has. And all of our bars are fit to the driver, where as the kits may not have the right main hoop height/location. The wolfe side bars are usually too low to be officially legal, but especially because you want swingouts, it would be no problem building one that crosses in the correct spot.

I don’t have school friday, im going to try and stop down before work and check out some stuff and ask some questions.

Looks good guys!

Mark - I am converting from OBD 2 to OBD 1 - would you guys be able to do the tuning for me on the OBD 1?

Paul was telling me that you guys have the software for that. He also said something about knowing someone from Rochester that is good. Let me know…