Getting an addition on my home, who to call for estimates???

I already have Zwicks and Kaz coming I woould like one or two more company’s to come and give me an estimate. I already have someone who is gonna do it I just need a second opinion. Let me know whos good.

Abest

Not sure where you are or the nature of the project, but every job I plumbed for Lent builders was very neat and clean. Just a modest business that does great work. Ivy Lea was a larger outfit and does great work too.

As a contractor, how about you don t waste anyones time if you already have your choice determined. The time I spend meeting with people is time I spend away from my family…and I dont make money for estimates.

Completely Agree.

Was thinking the same thing. Free estimates aren’t really FREE. The people that go out and quote are out gas money and time at minimum. 8/

IMO, unless it’s a highly recommended/higher end guy with his own crew… KAZ/ZWICKS/IVY LEA etc. etc are all going to be the same as far as quality and their crews are all the same level as far as skill.

completely agree.
Also nothing like going on an estimate, designing everything for the person, and then at the end they tell you that they want to do it themselves. Also great when they call 4weeks later saying they cant do it and want you to do it (immediately lolz) Guess what… fuck off. price is double now

Fuck it im calling everyone now to come and get my free estimates.

When you mention the word “free” and estimate, you really wind up paying for it…:wink:

X…

Good for you piss pot. Hope the guy you use fucks you over and you get stuck with a shit project. Good way to go about your project.

lol, I don’t know this guy but I wouldn’t let him in my house.

There are two ways to look at the free estimate setup.

If you want to work, you do estimates. You get what… 15% of the work quoted?
I do not feel bad what so ever getting people in to do estimates that may not get the job.
Thats life, people suck, customers suck, and contractors suck too.

However, I do not knowingly waste peoples time if there is little to no chance of them doing the work.
I don’t want to be bothered explaining what I want 7 times.

When I need an estimate, I triple the cost of materials.
I have never tried that out though… could you come to my house and give me an estimate of framing, insulating, and sheet rocking a basement? It’s mostly been done, but I would love an estimate to see how much I “could” save :smiley:

I’m calling everyone, who do you work for iqikz

I own my own business so I get to experience first hand the customer who wants to use my knowledge and expertise for their own gain. When people call me out just to verify their buddy, who usually claims to know what he’s doing but doesn’t, isn’t taking advantage of them I end up doing something for nothing. If your boss asked you to work two hours for free, would you? How about if it was for two hours a week? How about if he asked you to do it on a weekend, or if he asked you to make a special trip from home and not pay you for your gas? Now you get a picture of what that’s like. If you say it wouldn’t piss you off your lying. Why should it be ok for me then? I do quality work and work on site every day, evenings in the office preparing professional quotes, and usually the weekends taking care of loose ends so maybe you can see how your post pisses me off.

Soooo are you free this weekend, i would like an estimate?

Sorry…I have to LOL @ this! Well played. Internetz = srs bnz though. You gon get raped?

It’s pretty well known that as a home owner that you should ALWAYS get 3 estimates for work before making a decision. In the case of an addition on your home, you could be looking at 50-100k dollars. That’s not something that you just hire the first person on. Also, for the company trying to GET the job, you should be doing everything you can to score that kind of work. He’s not asking you to quote him on straightening a door frame, he’s asking you to do a MAJOR rennovation. If I was 1QIKZ, I would have PM’d the OP, quoted the job. At the same time you’re out there quoting the job, you should be explaining to the home owner WHY he is better off using you rather than letting his cousin do the work for 1/2 the cost. Be a salesman, not a grumpy douche.

In the commercial industry you have to actively bid jobs and spend A LOT of time prepping bids. Most companies (even small ones) have a dedicated resource to quoting and bidding jobs even when they only actually get work on a fraction of them.

That’s the business, deal with it.

I work about 55 hours a week at minimum, I get paid for 40 of them. I often have to drive to customers to help increase business, I have a laptop and work on weekends to make sure that all of my loose ends are tied up. I do Quality work too and I get compensated very well for what I do, I guess it is all in how you look at it. I personally would rather put in the extra effort that will help me to maintain and increase my level of success. You cant win them all, but if you don’t try you will never know. Now I am not totally disagreeing with you on this as it does suck to waste someones time when there is no chance at the job, but I am sure if a quality contractor came in and could save him some $$ he would probably consider them or even use them as a negotiation tool. I pit manufacturers, distributors and contractors against each other with bidding all of the time. It is a tough business and just like with cars, you have to pay to play.

What type contracting do you do?

I have absolutely no problem providing a competitive bid for a project with other contractors in the mix. I understand three bids. My objection is when people have their decision made and “use” you as their negotiation tool with another contractor, or family/friend. This means it’s about money, not quality. I constantly open up others work and see the shortcuts. I don’t pit vendors against each other either. It’s about service and honesty. Those who do good work (hence not lazy) get the business. Poor service costs you more than you save. One guy says he does it to his vendors but how would he like it if all his customers did it to him. Just because that’s the way it is doesn’t make it right.

I also work hard and make a good wage, but don’t anyone tell me that you wouldn’t be pissed off when someone uses your time and takes you away from what little time you have to spend with your family.

Some of you aren’t looking at the big picture. Do unto others…why don’t people get this?