Recommend a solid home inspector

Not looking for the guy that’s gonna just breeze through and then leave me with a bunch of surprises. Looking for someone who’s good, thorough, and 200% honest and straight up about everything.

Thanks

This is who did mine:

http://prospechomeinspection.com/contact-us/

Did a great job, answered all my questions, super nice and very thorough. Also brought his German Shepard (she stayed in the car though). I’d recommend him.

I’ve used Steve Nola from Amerispec three times. I bought two of the houses and (thanks in large part to him) avoided buying a big shiny turd once.

None of these seem to be popping up on the ASHI data base. Should I hold any weight on this?? I received a recommendation for home pro wny who belongs to ASHI and they seem to be pretty good but then again it could all be a front belonging to the society.

I’d only use a contractor for checking out my next house… I still can’t believe a gave a guy a few bills to fill out a stupid check list that I could have done. I basically feel scammed.

200%? That’s impossible, you’re only able to give 100%. I’d be satisfied with someone who was 95%.

This is who I would recommend (drop my name, Lucas Lorentz, when you talk to him):

Gerry McNamara
716-864-9489
Aardvark Services
http://www.aardvarkwny.com/

Main Office:
(716) 822-6969
733 Tifft Street
Buffalo, NY 14220

I was looking for a home inspector. Searched here and came across your post. Steve did a great job. Well worth it. I’d use him again. He knew I was a first time home buyer and he explained everything he was doing in great detail.

I’m in the same boat as you man. Gave the guy $700 to inspect two homes and all I got was this simple checklist of the most generic items and half of it wasn’t even filled out. My friends inspector provided him with a 46 page detailed report including pictures for the same price

I got a detailed .pdf with pictures of all the issues found in my house. It is super nice to refer back to it since I obviously couldn’t do all the work when I bought the house. 2 years down the road and referring back to his notes on what to do is super handy.

I had considered getting into this racket, especially seeing what the one douche drizzle did when he screwed me on the sale of my house.

I write lots of policies for guys who do this type of work on the side. I have a program that only runs a couple hundred dollars for a $1 Mill liability policy. Basically anyone can get the insurance, take the class and be considered a qualified home inspector. It’s really scary actually…

…and obvious.

I think you need an inspector for a sale/purchase. But I would always ask an exlerienced contractor that you’re familiar with to take a look as well. Some inspectors are great. Some don’t have a clue

You do not. I have actually never had a home inspection done in any of my real estate deals. After seeing so many homes, it is amazing what you pick up on over the years. I am far from an expert on anything, but I’ve learned what a real problem is from one that maybe is not so much…

http://www.empowernetwork.com/fuzednet/files/2012/11/holmes-on-homes.jpg

FHA loans do a separate home inspection but as a buyer you’re not required to do a home inspection like the ones discussed here.

I had a guy name Dave from here: http://www.ahiwny.com/ He was a really nice guy, and was very thorough. Even went and did some things above and beyond the standard home inspection playbook, great knowledge of HVAC systems too.

I just had a home inspection today from A-Mark Home Inspections. Mark spent 4 hours with me and at the end, his deliverable was awesome. I have a fully organized book with all of his notes and what we discussed, in an awesome binder divided into sections. He’s going to send me the photos he took tomorrow, too.

Only cost me $325 for an inspection, with no other extras (radon/thermal/etc.)

Really REALLY friendly and knowledgeable guy. He found some issues in the house that I didn’t see in the two times I walked through before today. I watch a lot of Holmes Inspection, too… I was shocked I missed the issues! Ha

After some recent findings in my house, my view of my home inspector is changing. I really wish I would have had a contractor do my inspection rather than some guy with a clipboard and a tape measure.