girl at work

I got the extended warranty on my used Accord… the tranny went three weeks after I bought it. Warranty more than paid for itself.

Found out a few months later that the car could not hold an alignment, no matter what. A few garages looked at it, and the best guess was that it was wrecked, but they did a great job of fixing it, aside from it no longer being straight.

My Reno? About the same car payment, but I’m pretty sure no one wrecked it in the 1.8 miles it was driven before I got it.

My wifes car was certified used, she paid 5 dollars less for a 98 than my 2001 cavaler for the same exact car, 3 days after she took it home it had issues. She had the factory warentee but they “couldn’t find anything wrong” till the warentee ran out. After it ran out a year later (the factory not the extended) they found all kinds of problmes like the computer, egr, all kinds of shit. We had just moved in together and I went down there chewed them a new asshole. Called GM (twice for two different claims) and everything got fixed for free. It ended up being a carbon build up problem because the car sat for 8 months on the lot.

She later had an issue with a starter where they told us (we were married then) that it was covered under the warentee. Got it replaced along with new tires since we were leaving for a trip, and they come back after the work is done and tell me its going to be 117.00 more than initally quoted. He was like well there is a $100.00 deductable for the starter. I told him he had 15 min to get that fucking starter off the car and I would go do it myself.

Ended up on the Phone with GM Direct again. They ate the deductable…

All in all it comes down to balls, and knowing when you are getting fucked around.

(PS- I didn’t go with her to buy this car. She bought it when we first started dating.)

Acura rsx
scion tc
mazda 3
pontiac g6 with employee price for everybody deal
nissan altima 2.5 s
mazda 6
mini cooper
toyota celica
volkswagon jetta

volkswagEn :wink:

cliff notes: don’t buy a fucking Cavalier. :bash:

She wants a new car, with a warranty, for $20k?

With the way gas prices are going, I’d recommend a Civic Hybrid… or a Prius. An automatic can be had for $20k.

blah blah suzuki / geo :kekegay:

lets see my mother has had 2 no problems. I had mine no major issues, Jenn’s had a problem due to sitting for so long 8 months other than that no issues.

yup what a lemon :rolleyes:

my mom’s Sunbird was so bad that she swore off American cars forever.

She bought it new in 1985. She got rid of it for a rusted out Ford Fairmont less than six months later because it spent most of its time at Wright Pontiac anyway.

I personally will not buy a used car ever again for anything other than a cheap beater car, never EVER again for a daily driver. /discussion

ok you are talking about a 2nd generation sunbird comapred to a 3rd generation cavalier :rolleyes:

just because its built on the same platform doesn’t make it the same vehicle.

My grandmother had a 91 second generation cavalier. I drove it, my sister drove it for a while, they sold it, my brother ended up buying it back, and he just sold it last month and its still running like a champ.

Don’t know what to tell you.

You talk about the cars based on a “cousin” car your mom owned"…

I’ve owned a couple and never had a problem.

i don’t know that i’d call a Sunbird a cousin… It’s the same car, excepting front end styling + taillamps…

tell her to buy a dealer certified used car, then tell her to shut up and quit talking, then tell her to send nude pics to my work account

I’m with ya on that one - I got SCREWED and Learned ALOT of lessons about buying a car on my own. I know my shit but only to a certain extent.

Bought the car from a “friend” that works at a dealership - Lesson #1 Learned

Got screwed on how much the car is actually worth/payments. For the Next 5 years when I pay my car payment I will have in the back of my head I should have and could have bought a brand new car for the same amount and will get pissed off all over again at my stupidity- Lesson #2 Learned

And Lesson #3 and I hate to say this one…I will not go car shopping again without the supervision of another human being ie boyfriend/husband or father…Because I get to excited quickly over cars and make stupid ass decisions IE my Spec V

sigh Honestly, I would not let her go alone and you sound like more of a friend than the douche bag that sold me my car - If I got swindled she sure as shit will…

see my experiences were the exact opposite… bought a used car with a bad head gasket, they fixed it for free and gave me a car off teh lot to drive till it was done…

#1 cockrunupyourass was great for the sale. but terrible for service or warranty work. i’ll buy used next

lot to be said for doing business with a handshake and your word. small used auto dealers can still do that. just gotta buy off one you trust. big car corps on the other hand… well, you saw my luck.

plus it never hurts to let them know that YOU KNOW WHERE THEY LIVE

Exactly the boat I was in.

And Lesson #3 and I hate to say this one…I will not go car shopping again without the supervision of another human being ie boyfriend/husband or father…Because I get to excited quickly over cars and make stupid ass decisions IE my Spec V

sigh Honestly, I would not let her go alone and you sound like more of a friend than the douche bag that sold me my car - If I got swindled she sure as shit will…

Well, I think if I was buying a car NOW without the supervision of someone else I would be OK… but not back then. My dad actually did come with me, and he KNEW it was a bad decision, but because I wanted it I wouldn’t have it any other way, and he let me do it. Lesson learned.

This is good advice, almost all women and alot of guys need supervision while buying cars.

I learned this very quickly when shopping with my friend when she was looking for a car. I let her do most of the shopping and talking, my job was just to not let her do dumb stuff and to deal with the numbers, and offer advice.

best bet is to buy a car a yr old cause of deprication (sp)

I will probably never buy a new car, it’s a fucking waste of money.

I need something bigger than my altima ( we might be having another baby) and I was looking at Crown Vic’s. I can get a used 98+ crown vic for ~$7k-$8k where a new one is ~$25K. $18,000 is a lot of repairs.

new cars are a terrible investment and a huge waste of money

stop buying junk cars then. Only problem I’ve had with the Max is the alternator which made it to 115K. Buying new is retarded unless you’re rich.

last time I checked warranties transfer. and the fact remains that the second you signed that title the car lost 20% of its value. Worst investment ever.