girl at work

Its not an investment and pot isn’t legal. :rolleyes:

um I sold my computer and people usually get loans or credit cards.

you are being such a stupid fuck in this thread, you must be high…

1# ever meet a basketball player?

1. i resell old computers all the time… want one? p3 1.0ghz 40gig HD 256+ram = $250

lmk :wink:

HAHA oh boy - I agree cars are not investments…They get you from point A to B with hopefully no problem

i’m sure darkstar is just fucking around… a car is an investment if you think of an investment as deferring payment!

meh, just beaucse the rate at which you’re paying off the loan is slightly faster than the depreciation of the car doesnt mean that you’re making any money by selling it for slightly more than what you owe on it. What if you double up your payments every month? If you paid off $24,000 instead of $12,000 and then sold the car for $58,000, does that mean you made $11,000? Fuck no.

a computer costs $1,000. A car costs $25,000 (unless you get a cavalier, and then its less than a computer…). Anythign that you dump a year’s salary into (or somewhat close to it), is an investment. Sure you’re not gonna make a profit on it, but you can try to control your losses.

it does if you take into ocnsideration the amount you would of paid on the interest.

like i stated, a car isnt’ an investment, so you aren’t going to MAKE MONEY… basically if you buy a car you are emersing yourself in debt… and if you happen to get out of that debt without paying extra you are ‘making money’.

but…

70000-24000 = 36000 - 58000 = -22000 + 24000 (that you paid) = 2000 then you just saved 2k by spending the extra 2k montly for 2 years.

you people can call a house an investment. All it is is wood and bricks. You live in it. A car is steel and plastic. You drive it. Whats the difference besides that one can possibly appreciate and the other will most assuredly depreciate? You HAVE to have a car. You HAVE to have a house.

a house’s property value is really what the resale is based on… but the house structure does add to the resale becuase the purpose of a house is to retain resale, not live in it until it falls apart

1. a car is ‘disposible’… there are junk yards for cars, not houses

im not saying its a good investment, but its a an investment nonetheless. You’re still spending a shitload of money and trying to come out as far ahead as possible. But instead of trying to be wise about it to make a profit, you have to be wise about it to try and lose less on the deal. Bottom line is that if you let some other sucker take the nasty hit of driving it off the lot for the first time and let him absorb that insta-depreciation you’re a lot better off.

I understand cars are disposable. They have whole lots of them. You can spot them from miles away by the big Bowtie and/or blue oval way up in the air.

im off to work. I’ll continue educating SNS when I get home.

yeah and no!

hahaha… my purpose for buying a car isn’t to keep myself on top of the loan… it was to buy a car i liked and drive the hell out of it… luckily i don’t have a shitty taste in cars and i picked one that retained resale.

regardless, i probably won’t buy new unless it’s for a wife that ‘needs’ a new car for the ‘piece of mind’…

I agree, but everyone and their grandma knows that buying a new car is not very smart(financially). My buddy buys a new car every 2 years, he loses tons of money every other year. I know a lot of people that buy cars just becasue they can. It’s small dick syndrome. I’m glad you buy new and think you are getting a good deal, but you really are not.

Our situations are completely different, but the reality is - buying a new car is not real good for your bank account compared to buying a used car.

what kind of car can you get for $150/month that comes with a 100k bumper-to-bumper warranty? $150/month would get you about a $6500 car. What the fuck do I want with a $6500 car? Too expensive to be a beater, not enough cash for a new car.

well if you are someone that already has and will continue to budget a car payment regardless, then it’s not really that bad.

so… if you are going to go through with buying a new car all the time like your buddy or my boss, then you DON"T put anything down and walk out with a brand new car… then you eat the downpayment on the tradein value on the next new car and just make sure you can get your loan covered by keeping the car clean and not racking up miles and there you have a car that you are basically leasing with no money down, but you own it.

i don’t think that anyone is going to argue with you that buying a used car is cheaper than new!

A car unless a classic with a demand (IE people who still want the 20+ year old car) will always looses value. Your home will gain value over the years.

Try buying a home and see how the market reacts and how your value fluctuates. Our home was worth more than what we paid for it and the value contines to go up as we remodel. You get different returns for different remodles but it still goes up.

Part of it is due to a house (shelter you know that term form school if you were fucking high all day) is a necessity not a fucking toy like a car.

A car is a luxury. Not a necessity…

Maybe thats what you are doing when you buy a car, which makes you a poor invester so shut up.

Most people buy a car for point a to point b transportation and nothing more.

WHICH HAS BEEN STATED NUMOROUS TIMES IN THIS THREAD.

exactly.

i just assume that I’ll always have a $300 car payment and it’s in my budget. I don’t worry about repairs, and I’ll always have a fairly new vehicle. Period, end of story. When I’m 28 or 29, I’ll do it all over again.