Girls car is back under the knife.

dude, ditch that crank pulley! get a Fluidampr or go back to the stock balancer. light weight crank pulley + light flywheel is a bad idea

how so? not being a dick I really want to knwo

i know its crazy but i’m actually going to agree with brett on this one. the lw pulleys aren’t perfectly balanced and cal lead to bearing failure. just grab the oem one off the parts car.

already took them off and put the orig back on. I got them for free from a bunch of stuff i got off a vortexer so no loss. thanks for the warning though.

yeah i saw that Neuspeed pulley dyno compaire on the tex, they LOST 3-4 hp! lol enough research for me.

I built the transmission over the weekend. I have the 3.93 R&P on the Peloquin limited slip dif. I took the TDI 1st and 2nd gear with the big tooth syncroset and shift hub with was in MINT shape a put that on the 1.8t main shaft, along with the 1.8T 3rd & 4th Gear with its big tooth syncro sets. I also added the TDI 5th gear for the highway gear. So I bolted it back to the engine and installed the Eurospec lightweight flywheel and the SPEC S3 clutch. I painted the fenders late last week and put the engine and trans back in the jetta, after over 10 months of being parked! Dont mind the ugly ass stock motor mounts, I am waiting on some nice VF billet ones. I used the Earls 5/16" to -6AN adapters to go from the stock fuel hardlines into the polished inline fuel pump.

I tig welded up a nice stainless steel power steering res box and mounted that out of sight on the frame rail, still have to tap and plumb that. I still have to make an aluminum coolant overflow box and plumb that.

Newsouth filterport made installing the oil pressure and temp sensors. I did have to remove the stock oil/cooler box and cut out a section of the unthreaded pipe that held the entire shabang together. Welded that bitch back up after I cout the secion out and it fits like a champ. I fully tigged the pipe back together and it was dead nuts straight! I am loving that new welder.

I also hung the downpipe and welded in the SS bung for the Innovate Motorsports wideband gauge and data logging O2.

W/A IC parts will be here tomorrow, some more stuff from ATP here today, and yet another Summit order on friday.

Its getting there.

lookin good dude!

looking good man will be up hopefully this weekend to help out

Yeah dude I could use the extra hands.

New box O’Goodies came in…

Tonight I will be making mounting feet for the IC and start making charge pipes.

me likey

is that a frozen boost kit?? i do notice the uprated Bosch coolant pump too :thumb

W/A IC FTMFW.

I have the pipes all welded up and in the car, just finishing the IC mounts. I will have pics tonight. And yeah that little, well actuall it is big in size, pump will push some srs watter!

Looks good man!

Wish I had the resources to do a lot of fab work myself :banghead

Made alot of progress this weekend. Found out I was missing the oil return flange for the turbo and the oil pan, which I though I had ordered… so I ordered them up aswell as some other fittings I ran out of.

I got the fluid in the trans, I used Pensoil Syncomesh which i heard good things about in our grindy 02J’s. The last stuff I used was Royal Purple and it was too slick and the syncros wouldnt slow down enough and were grinding so hopefully this will help. I got the other axle bolted up and spun the axles a lot to cycle some oil through out the trans and free up the syncros and what ever dried out durring the install. Still have to adjust the shift shafts a bit but it hits each gear smooth and rotates fine so far.

The charge piping came out great for using the stock intake with the TB on the wrong side. I was worried about fitting 3" across the front and having enough of a bend to hit the TB. Good thing I ordered that reducing 90 deg boot, that helped ALOT. The cold side runs right over the top of the fans and missed the top radiator coolant line perfectly. I welded on the BOV v-band flange in the middle and I only have a 8" run for the VAC line from under the intake manni which is sweet. The Hot side pipe was a piece of cake and fit like a glove. Misses the master cyclinder by 2 inches, hood has plenty of clearance. The IC it self fits like a champ too, one water line fill run down the drivers side and you only see about 8 inches of the hose in the engine compartment, the other goes down and across the front to the heat exchanger. The heat exchanger is BIG. 2 inches thick and 27X6, just about the size of a FMIC. I welded up a nice frame from 3/4" square tube to mount the exchanger, but hung too low off the stock rebar, and sectioning it out is a pain in the ass, so I am going to make 2 plates for the frame rails and get some DOM tubing to make a new rebar to hang it from.

I welded in the bung for the wide band O2, and found out how much of a pain in the ass the electric cutout is going to be to mount under the car, but I will figure it out.

Got the battery and the ice box in the trunk. The rubber OEM plugs were perfect grommets for the 3/4" water lines so that was nice. At some point I will make the trunk look nicer for show but right now it needs to run so it is being thrown in the trunk!

Got the crusty rusted ass brakes off for the new stuff. Just OEM rotors and some pads at the moment.

Radiator hoses will be a piece of cake. I am not running heat so there wont eb any running towards the firewall. I can just loop the crack pipe to the cyclinder head and use the other 3 bungs off the crack pipe to feed the oil cooler turbo and coolant tank. There wont be much exposed so it will be nice and compact.

This bitch better be running this weekend!

Wowww dood. Looks like a sweet setup. Can’t wait to see it all finished up.

lookin good man

Older pic, but shows the shaved bay VS the stock bay.

now imaginehow short the length of the piping will be when you go to a SEM or APR intake manifold with a driverside inlet.

The balance of the pulley itself is not really the issue. Its the mass of the pulley itself. With a lightweight pulley and flywheel you change the location of the CG of the crankshaft, and its vibration characteristics will change. The 1.8t has proven to be very sensitive to this change.

I will second Brett’s recommendation of the Fluidamper or the stock pulley. The performance increase of a lightweight flywheel is much much more than the crank pulley anyway.

Nice build! :thumbup

USP Motorsports made power throughout the powerband with the Fluidampr, on a 30R car.