GM 2.4 TWIN cam missfire

Car miss fires horribly. I get a code for po300 random missfire, before the CEL starts flashing. I have replaced the cps, plugs, and one coil so far with very little change. Im not looking to dump money into the car as its just being sold once fixed. Anyone have a ignition module I can borrow, or other ideas on what it is? This just appeared within one day, ran great otherwise.

I am leaning towards the ignition module or the crank sensor being bad. Any input?

1996 Chevy cavalier z24 2.4l twin cam auto.

I would lean towards that ign module that hides under the aluminum engine cover. They are hard to test cause of how there are no spark plug wires. You can try turning it over and sticking a set of plugs in the ends of the plastic boots and see if you cant get a spark. Usually is the cam sensor is sorta bad there would be a code for that and if it is completely bad you would have a no start. If everything looks good on the ignition side check your fuel pressure, pump, injectors…

I cant remember if these engines have EGR or not but that could cause similar issues too.

Yea there’s a egr. I just replaced about 6’ of the fuel line the day before. It ran fine after that tho. Two of the old plugs looked like they were running richer then the two closer to the timing chain. Which is why I replaced that coil on those two plugs. I hate to buy that module new ($160).