GM cancels new DOHC V8 plans

Ummm…okay. I’ll be sure to trust your opinion on their future. Guess you haven’t payed any attention to them over the past few years, have you?

PUSHRODS:headbang:

UAW:bloated:

buhahahaha :lolham:

to be honest… all cars sucked until 89.except for pre 72 of coarse.

Why do I get the funny feeling that you will never be in a position to walk into a car dealer and say Ill take the red one !!!

WTF is a coveted hilton anyway?

1. who was the number ONE manufacturer in the world for 2007?
  2. I’m pretty sure Rick Waggoner even kick Chuck Norris’ ass.
  3. Pushrods will always win over DOHC. Period.

GM + PUSHROD V8’S = :headbang:

Hmmm… lot of money to toss away there, granted the new restrictions combined with what they have the works pretty darn well make it seem out of place from what they need to focus on, flagship cars can only go so far.

SICK BURN DUDEBRO!

not really. they both have their place.

headflow is far more important that valvetrain configuration. its more important for the valvetrain to stay stable at the intended rpm rather than to involve pushrods.

Brian

Yea, GM interiors are terrible. They use the exact same radio and hvac controls in every vehicle.

Check out the new 08 trucks. Seriously on par with the E46 BMW/IS300 etc. Not world class, but MORE THAN good enough for a truck.

I know, I’m just being a stubborn/tunnel visioned GM guy… I can’t help myself sometimes

And your '90 CRX is better than what '90 GM? MAYBE a Cavalier. :mad:

no problem :wink: hehe

You people just don’t get it. It’s how many of you who aren’t overpaid auto workers will have nonexistant jobs due to the lack of disposable income in the economy.

Anyway, as much as I don’t care for V6’s, I think they are the answer. Today 's DI v6 has better numbers from 3.5 liters than a v8 of 5 liters from fifteen years ago.

But yes GM does suck. Any award they ever win they bought. Who is the only OE to win 2 best engine awards this year? Whose v6 makes more torque than the VQ from less displacement? Who builds the only pushrod engine on the list? GM. Shit they must have paid off everybody.

Yea, I know they’ve been making strides. I noticed the ltz model of the new malibu had a pretty sharp interior. In all domestics tho, they do all this molding and flowing of the dash and in the end they stick the generic box radio in and send it out, it makes it look like hell. The first thing that comes to mind in regards to a bland interior other than ALMOST every chrysler product is the chevy impala, even the SS is terribly bland. Why not some different materials to break up the space, or different textured materials, little stuff like that makes a difference.

http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/14532/bye-bye-to-gms-v-8s.html

“The replacement of the Northstar, that cancellation was the direct result of the 35-mpg fuel legislation.” GM chairman Rick Wagoner says when the new V-8 family program began, “there was more optimism than we have today,” that V-8 engines could survive in today’s regulatory climate. The engine was to go into production next year, prior to phasing out the Northstar V-8 that is found in many Cadillacs, that is scheduled to be phased out in 2010.

So we’re going to go with turbo V6’s that will get worse fuel economy than a V8 in real world driving, but will look better on the EPA test loop because they use such a light foot.

Don’t toss reality into this!

They really do need to revise the EPA mileage rating system though.

WAIT! ehhh oh well.

whats the reality of the gas mileage of the current v8’s? I have a 6 cylinder and I get pretty piss poor gas mileage, I could only imagine how the v8s are doing.

i normally get 26-28mpg on my V6.