GM cancels new DOHC V8 plans

Isn’t this the same engine that they were going to do at the Tonawanda Plant?

i get worse mpg in my 4 cly than mosts peoples v6’s and v8’s

I average 18 around town in the wrx.

I get ~18 in my 6 cylinder.

get around 20-22mpg in my ls1 powered GTO

edit: my old 93 lincoln, which had a DOHC 4.6L and got 29mpg on the highway

Kind of pointless to compare the V8 in my Expedition to the V6 in your Xterra though.

What I was talking is what GM is going to do, basically putting your V6 in my Expedition. To get that vehicle moving you’re going to need to work that motor a lot more, resulting in even worse gas mileage than the V8 that you barely need to touch to merge with traffic.

This becomes even more true when you’re comparing a relatively weak V6 that only makes decent power when turbocharged. Sure, as long as you stay out of boost the mileage should be ok. And you can bet GM et al will tune those motors to stay out of boost on that EPA test cycle. But out in the real world to pull out in traffic and merge my guess is you’re going to be getting into the boost, and your real mileage will not match that little EPA sticker.

Time will tell. Certainly doesn’t look good for enthusiast drivers right now.

dayum, when cobalts come into my shop, typically around 15 a day, all of their average fuel economy is around 21 mpg

I get 22mpg in my 2 turbo V6 with almost 300hp.

Isn’t this the same thing but with someone else talking about it:

http://nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43069&highlight=GM+V8

Whoops! Thread merge coming…

ford’s new ecoboost 3.5 V6 engine shows great promise. 340hp 340tq
it will start life in the lincoln MKS then in late 09 it will be in the taurus sport modle (actual name unknown). It is a twin turbo powerplant and soposedly has little to no turbo lag. who knows what the aftermarket will look like but based on how the mazdaspeed is taking to mods I would guess not so well compared to inteligent car companies that like enthusiest.

yes sir.
D

heh, no shit. Haven’t heard about this until now

I’d be damn impressed if Ford went through with it

edit: appears that the engine output running on e85 is around 400hp

not bad… maybe this isn’t the end of the modern hotrods

No you people need to quit driving like idiots. Don’t accelerate too fast, don’t use too much brake, and don’t drive too fast, and you’ll be fine. Accelerate from 0 to 45 in 4 seconds to stop at the next light 200 yards later and go 75 on the highway and of course you’ll do much worse than the EPA rating.

My truck is rated 15/19 and I get 17 on average city/highway mixed. Winter gas takes that down to 16. At 62.5 mph I get over 18mpg on highway with winter gas. With summer gas and at 55 mph I’m sure I could get the 19 mpg (older EPA ratings were 55 mph).