GM tire pressure sensors... questions

hey, so the new buick has tire pressure sensors.

a day or so after I picked it up, a light came on that said “tire low”… went to a gas station and topped the tires off, and since then the light hasnt shut off. Should it reset itself or so I have to pull a fuse or something?

Also, Im wondering if thats even the problem at all. I notice every once in a while, a slight vibration from the front wheels. I’m curious if maybe one of the wheels arent balanced right, thus setting the sensor off.

any ideas? I’d rather figure it out, before going to the stealership only to have them tell me some BS

no matter what Steve the car should be under warrantee for like 90 days or something like that.

oh I know… my buddy (who sold me the car) told me to just bring it in… but I know that he really doesnt have much say in the service dept. Just was curious as to why it’s doing this. (plus it’s a ford dealer, so not too sure if they’d know what was wrong)

there is NO tire pressure sensor, it tells that by using the Speed sensors (abs/traction control). it notices that the wheel moved at slightlly lower revolutions then the rest of the wheels

My grandmother’s Buick has the same problem… she just ignores it now and manually checks the tires.

hmmm… could an unbalanced wheel cause that? kind of strange… when I filled them, I set them all to about 37 psi

:tup: Thats exactly how it works.

Steve when you check the tire pessure was one tire alot lower than the rest? I dont know how to reset it but you could try to unhook the battery for like a half hour to clear the PCM. Or look in the owners manual to see if it tells you how in there. Also check you lug nuts to make sure none are loose for the vibration or have the tires reballanced.

yeah, the one tire was @ like 28 psi, another @ 32, the others were @ 37

I’ll try pulling the battery cable and see what it does. thanks for the heads up too guys

set all the tires @35lbs and look in your owners manual to reset the light as needed.

thanks brother :tup:

^^^^^^^yup yup

heh… who would of thought to look in the manual :lol:

ok, so it looks like you have to reset it manually (nichole, this may help your grandmothers car).

it says, AFTER you fill them all to the same, correct level, to then turn the key to the on position, then go in the fuse box (located on the passengers side) and hold the red reset button in for 5 seconds after which, the “low tire” will flash 3 times.

after that, your good to go :slight_smile: then it will set itself off again if there is more than 12 psi difference in the tire pressures (also wont throw the light if 2 or more are low)

thanks again peeps

Interesting… she keeps bothering me about it too :lol:

iam not going to read the rest of the thread the resets on the fuse panel push it and reset it

yeah owners manual comes with a lot of helpful info you should check it out