GM to close four plants, may unload Hummer

So if they get rid of Hummer, will they be sorta collectibles like the Prowlers? Also, where’d they all go? 2 summers ago I saw them prowl around(you see what i did there? :D) but now i just dont see them anymore. its like they all atomized

Gas prices killed the Hummer sales is that really tyo hard to gues who the fuck wants to pay $150 in gas everyweek. :nono

i think gas prices will go down b/c of no more hummers taking up all our gas. but srsly, the economy BLOWS, and i GM is making a good choice by closing b4 anything bad happens.

This trend will follow many other SUVs and Trucks…

Correct.

I feel bad for manufacturers of high end sports car. Isn’t their some law that forces 30MPG on ALL cars?

I’m pretty sure that anything under 30MPG will just have to pay some sort of gas hog tax… I think

yea everyone with an suv or super unefficient vehicle should probably sell them now because theyre about to be worth next to nothing id imagine.

Glad to see the Hummer go. I’m so tired of seeing yuppie pricks drive them around all shiny and clean as merely a status symbol. H2 and 3 both so hideous and worthless IMO. I’d take an H1 anyday tho.

so would i if it didnt have a MPG rating at like 5 lol, i’d be offroading everyday

not to sound like a complete douche or an asshole, but i was always hoping this would happen every time i saw an escalade or a navigator or an expedition roll by. i just didnt know it would actually come true and at the expense of the WHOLE nation. damn, i wished for it too hard, huh?

Precisely which will be passed down to the consumers. The MPG that the car shall achieve before having to pay tax will be based on it’s wheel base “foot print”, so very long broad exotics will fare well, however cars such as Lotus and Porsche will not be able to meet those standards at all and will be forced to pass down the buck to consumers, making them even more exotic.

Companies like GM or Ford can afford to either cut out their sports cars by 2020, or just give them less power and still sell them, since they have a broad line up. Companies whose bread and butter are only sports cars (IE Porsche, Lotus) can’t afford to give them less power and make them less sporty or try to achieve the desired MPG.

they already do… mustang owners have payed the gas guzler tax at the time of sale for the last 10 years,
also because mustangs are still pretty strong selling cars they may arm them with a high performance 4 cylinders,i think they would do that before cutting the v8 out or discontinueing the car all together. between the f150 and the v6 mustangs, fusion and ford taurus thoses vehicals can keep them afloat if they cut the fat out. americans will always love their big trucks but were not going to be wanting as many in the future…now ford just come out with this new eco drive shit… apparently they can make a v6 put out the power of a v8 but with way better gas milage… so if that pans out for them i could see the truck production slowing but not stoping. GM has the technology to stop half the engine from running, if they havent already perfected it they should… but in any case if they can shut down 4 cylinders on a large 6 liter v8 in a truck and then when the person wants to use the power they flip a switch to run the entire engine now that would be fucking sweet.

get rid of the hummers the new ones r ass ugly just destroy em all …and i am a gm guy

Are you guys sure? I thought NO cars allowed without 30MPG+ 10-20 years from now? Maybe it was just some GWB bullshit.

na their grandfatherd in as far as i know i mean i havent heard anything about that… yet LOL they do have a law about exhaust testing…err pollution testing or some shit…

The cars or the companies?

i thought it was an average of all there cars put together? All i know is it isnt taking place right away, next 10 yrs i believe

the cars are grandfatherd in so long as their built before the law goes into effect in regards to the mileage law, but my guess would be that when manufacturers start building 2010 model cars in mid 2009 slated for late 09 and early 2010 sales their going to build them to get mileage mandated by the bill for 2010… the new emissions laws they want to pass on the other hand would totaly fuck anyone thats got an aftermarket exhaust on their car or anything that does somthing to increase the carbon foot print. That law mandates all cars get tested every year and no cars are grandfatherd in past 1972 if i remember correctly anything prior to 72 didnt have cats in the first place. i could be wrong… it might be 1974ish?

Fuck a gas tax like that. People pay enough taxes when buying gas to fill up those gas hogs.

I love hummers ;D