Godspeed Intercooler Opinions

For the turbo guys, what is your opinion of the Godspeed (aka fleabay) FMIC??? I really want to get an FMIC for the STi and if I go with the Godspeed Gen2 I can get it this week. Otherwise who knows when it might be b/c I suck ass at saving money… lol. I’m mainly nervous of the damn thing coming apart and going through the motor.

So should I go for it, or wait til I can save up the extra for a TurboXS / Perrin / etc.?

I’d wait and get a better brand.

Check out CXRacing, I’ve had good luck with them.

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CXR&Product_Code=KIT-WRX0206-R1-IC0016&Category_Code=JDMWRX

just an FYI, buy T bolt claps instead of using theirs because the ones they send are super cheap. I did have one of there water to air intercoolers in my redline and was super surprised as to how beefy and well built the piece was

After the customer supplied Carrett turbo I installed yesterday, drove it out the driveway booted it and hit 0 psi, turned around came back, pulled the intake tube and found the center shaft seized to the bushings… I wouldn’t recommend any e-bay, Chinese shit parts anymore.

But an FMIC is a lot harder to fuck up than a turbo. lol Honestly, if its not a race car, i highly doubt you will notice a performance difference between a $100 core vs a $800 core IC.

You pay for what you get. I would save and get a better quality FMIC. GodSpeed is a junk company. Seems like a downgrade IMO

Its not hard to construct an intercooler.

Unless you are paying for $400-600+ for a Bell or such core, the actual cooling differences for the same size core Ebay VS say name brand (not crossing fin vs bar/plate lines) they are all the same. infact I bet the actual core is produced from the same main distribution company.

End tank construction design and quality would be next on the scale of quality. If the welds hold, pretty looking or not, if its designed correctly it will work just fine also.

Bottom line is most of the time you cant see alot of it behind a bumper anyways so it doesnt have to be the prettiest welds out there, and if it doesnt leak or flow like a fart in a shoe box, the $250 one will work just as well as the $800 one on the same car, within reason.

Its not a racecar, +/- 10deg for +/- $1000 you wont know the difference.

^ you’ll be hitting 10k posts today

After having a couple ebay FMIC on the Z, I can tell you it will work and do the job just fine, but they are not as efficient in dissipating heat as a more expensive intercooler.

Still on the cheaper side, I’ve seen a lot of high powered cars running precision intercoolers with good success

BAD ASS I DIDNT EVEN NOTICE THAT!! WOOT

Well i actually may be picking up an SS Autochrome with the bumper beam on the cheap. I’ll just have to get the piping kit for it because the kit that it has now is for a rotated turbo and mine… well… isn’t. lol

The pipeing kit CorEwrx got fit like poo, and needed to be modded hardcore. And it welded like shit too. it was some chrome like coated aluminum tube. Not sure exactly what supplier he got them from though.

If you get a generic kit for the piping, and dont want to run a shit ton of couplers, tape them up and draw alignment marks incase the tape comes loose and swing them by, ill tig them up for you on the cheap.

I have an email into SSAutoChrome for a price on just the piping kit. If I can get the piping, it SEEMS like it is a pretty decent fit and not too many couplings… but either way I am going to be coming to you very soon to get that waste-gate recirculated… its driving me nuts but I haven’t had the moniez…

I have an SSAutoChrome kit on my GSX. The core is working just fine at supporting 450 AWHP. The couplers and clamps they sent were pretty cheap and I replaced all of them. Also there was a hole in the weld for the BOV flange that I had to re-weld over before the install.

So aside from minor problems the kit has been good. The core itself even survived a car accident that required me to get a new bumper cover, rad support, hood, headlight, and fender.

They do the job just fine in a pinch, but their not as efficient at dispersing heat as their more expsensive counterparts.

You can just look at a more expensive intercooler like a Precision/Garrett and see the difference in fin layout/spacing vs a cheaper one.

The LSX guys like the CX Racing stuff. I guess the quality is pretty good for the price.