Google give a two finger salute to Windows on internal systems...

I assume the majority of the company will switch to Chrome OS once released?

So this is similar to SCCM but for Linux/Unix machines?

I highly doubt that chrome OS can handle the tasks of their day-to-day company-wide.

They’ll probably go with Fedora and OS X.

Googles webservers run their own OS last time I checked…

LOL @ people being scared of Linux CLI

seriously, people need to man up

man pages FTW

I wouldn’t put anything past Google anyways…

They build their own 10Gb switches and look at their modular data center design its all custom.

hah yeah, that’s true

They definitely do have custom built linux kernels.

Hopefully this makes other companies shift google usually starts trends.

unfortunately, I doubt you will see that happening.

Here’s to wishful thinking though.

Maybe this is more of google becoming self sufficient?

I like google and im glad they’re ditching Microsoft however.

I don’t know why they blame Microsoft when they got popped via IE6 exploit :lol:

Microsoft is IMO pretty good at patching holes. That IE8 exploit that was found not to long ago was patched pretty quick. No major companies should be using IE6.

Haha ya I know. It sounds like they should be ditching their IT Support staff and not the OS.

if you guys read the article… it says "
So that’s 20,000+ Windows licenses that won’t be sold and renewed at Google in future years.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/05/31/businessinsider-henry-blodget-google-dumping-microsoft-windows-company-wide-blames-windows-for-china-hacking-attack-2010-5.DTL#ixzz0pdeLy5RR"

so i imagine that’s 20k, not 10k lost.

How Microsoft made an official response?

Response from M$ Communication Manager

“Would it make any difference if the victims were running Linux or any other operating system if an attacker builds such a sophisticated profile? Not remotely. Linux, Windows, Mac, whatever – everything has weaknesses. Especially the users of those systems.”

Link

yeah, it’s like the pwn to own contest where they put a mac, a pc, and a linux computer behind a firewall, and said if you can hack it, then you can have it. The mac was Hacked first within hours, the Windows Vista machine within a day, and the Linux PC within a few days.

I think at PWN2OWN they hacked all the phones, browsers and OSs. Soon after that contest Firefox released an update to fix their vulnerability

PWN2OWN works like this…a few years back day 1 was remote exploits only…

Day 1
The target pairings for day one are:

* Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 on Windows 7
* Mozilla Firefox 3 on Windows 7
* Google Chrome 4 on Windows 7
* Apple Safari 4 on MacOS X Snow Leopard

In addition to the underlying laptop and $10,000 USD cash prize, successful competitors on day one receive 20,000 ZDI bonus points which immediately qualifies them for Silver standing. Benefits of ZDI Silver standing include a one-time $5,000 USD cash payment, 15% monetary bonus on all ZDI submissions in 2011, 25% reward point bonus on all ZDI submissions in 2011 and paid travel and registration to attend the DEFCON Conference in Las Vegas.

Day 2
The target pairings for day two are:

* Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows Vista
* Mozilla Firefox 3 on Windows Vista
* Google Chrome 4 on Windows Vista

In addition to the underlying laptop and $10,000 USD cash prize, successful competitors on day two receive 15,000 ZDI bonus points which immediately qualifies them for Bronze standing. Benefits of ZDI Bronze standing include a one-time $1,000 USD cash payment and a 10% monetary bonus on all ZDI submissions in 2011.

Day 3
The target pairings for day three are:

* Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
* Mozilla Firefox 3 on Windows XP
* Google Chrome 4 on Windows XP

In addition to the underlying laptop and $10,000 USD cash prize, successful competitors on day three receive 9,999 ZDI bonus points which puts them just one ZDI submission away from Bronze standing for the year :wink:

Hardware Prizes
The available laptops prizes are:

* Apple Macbook Pro 15"
* HP Envy Beats 15"
* Sony Vaio 13"
* Alienware M11x

Target: Mobile Phones
$60,000 of the total $100,000 cash prize pool is allotted to the mobile phone portion of the contest, each target is worth $15,000. A successful hack on these targets must result in code execution with little to no user-interaction. Expect updates on the rules as the contest approaches. The current target list is as follows:

* Apple iPhone 3GS
* RIM Blackberry Bold 9700
* Nokia E72 device running Symbian
* HTC Nexus One running Android

In addition to the mobile device and $15,000 USD cash prize, successful competitors will receive 20,000 ZDI bonus points which immediately qualifies them for Silver standing. Benefits of ZDI Silver standing include a one-time $5,000 USD cash payment, 15% monetary bonus on all ZDI submissions in 2011, 25% reward point bonus on all ZDI submissions in 2011 and paid travel and registration to attend the DEFCON Conference in Las Vegas.

Any non remote code execution entries accepted by the judges reduces the point giveaway to 9,999 ZDI bonus points which puts the competitor just one ZDI submission away from Bronze standing for the year :wink:

In a corporate environment they run IPS/IDS/Anti virus which prevent most of these attacks or at least stop the compromise after something was exploited.

XP was a the standard for many enterprises and it didn’t have a number of security features that OSX 10.5 had like ASLR(Address space layout randomization) which helps prevent a lot of exploits also XP did not have DEP enabled by default.

Moar via Official Windows Blog

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

Moar via Official Windows Blog

Sounds to me like this whole ordeal is just one big “knee-jerk” reaction. I suspect that once they realize the costs involved, and the loss of productivity due to users experiencing migration issues (finding alternate programs, using new OSes, accessing software repositories differently, etc…) , they’ll realize they fucked up.