Got rear-ended..insurance question

Earlier tonight i was rear ended at low speeds. I was stopped at a red light in the going-straight lane and the dude behind me jumped the gun when the green arrow came up and slammed into me.

He was in a big pickup and i was in an suv, so it was bumper on bumper impact. It wasn’t enough to do any major visible damage to the rubbermade bumper, but it was enough to do things like pop the glove box open, send shit flying through my car, and since it completely caught me off guard, sending my head flying back then forward :frowning:

The guy was cool about it, whatever, shit happens. He messed up and admitted it to the cop.
That was like 4 hours ago, and i’m already getting all stiff and pretty sore in my neck and upper back. I’ve got a heating pad on it and took some ibuprofen. I didn’t think it was a hard enough impact to really do anything major, but then again, that’s a lot of mass transferring to soft neck tissue abruptly.

I think i’ll go to the doc tomorrow just to get checked out, i’m just curious if that would get charged to his insurance and how that all works…

I’m sure i could just ask the doctor when i call in the morning, but i’m laying in bed and just kinda curious now

edit:
just thought i’d add that there was an accident report filed, and i obviously have all that guy’s insurance info

so ummm…where is the question?

I think it would be covered under no-fault.

whether your feel like your injured or not after an accident you should still go to the doctor. that way if something comes up later its recorded that you went.

just my 2 cents

that’s what i was thinking. That’s why i just called the police too, even though it wasn’t major… i figured it’d just be better to have it all documented properly.
My neck is pretty stiff today… guess i should call the doctor

sounds like whiplash to me. Get it checked out. medical should be covered by ins…same with the chiropractor your going to end up at. also, ice it…heat might be soothing but its not going to help it much.

This. The cops usually ask you if you want a ride to the hospital. Take them up on the offer to avoid any issues later.

go to the Dr’s, if you cannot get an apointment go to the ER. even if they don’t help you can always go to the dr’s later, just get someone to document pain asap.

i just got back from immediate care because my doctor needed a couple weeks to fit me in. haha…
Dawn was right, it goes under NYS no-fault, then the insurance companies battle it out. Just some xrays and “does it hurt when i do this” stuff…
doc said keep up with the warm compresses and gave me muscle relaxers.

But as stated, the more important part is that it’s been documented for future reference if needed.

it’s on paper it hurts, it’s on paper he hit you, it’s on paper he admitted he hit you. you’re all set.

yep. now it’s time for la-la land :tup:

been there done that, spent a year in a Soma-coma with collapsed discs… flexiril, robaixin, soma, ect ect… don’t do anything while your back feels better untill you’re off the meds or you’ll do twice as much damage. ask me how i know

if your on flexeral or whatever its called, dont smoke weed.

the combo makes you violent, I wason them when I was 15 for a back injury from a racing accident at the end of the season and decided to party, bad idea, I turned into my avatar.

its funny, what i posted earlier is the only thing i remember from drivers ed :lol:

lol good story. i don’t do that stuff though, so no worries

WTF is a doctor doing telling you to use a heating pad when it’s an acute injury? You NEVER use heat within the first 48 hours of an injury like this. This is when your body is going to have the most inflammation, which can not only cause nerve and tissue damage, but it’s also what causes a lot of pain. Heat amplifies the rate of inflammation, wheras ice decreases it.

And I also like that he just prescribed muscle relaxers and said to take it easy.

Just wanted to quote that…

i don’t know what to say about the first part…
but as for him just throwing pills at a patient? i think that’s what doctors are trained to do. Unfortunately the majority of americans believe that they need a pill to feel better, no matter what, so this is just how doctors conduct themselves nowadays. I’d like to see a statistic of how many people are on antidepressants or similar that were prescribed to them by a nurse practitioner that only met the patient once, and for 10 minutes.
So i agree, that’s ridiculous.

:word:

Alright. Here it goes…

In NYS there is what’s called PIP coverage. That stands for personal Injury Protection coverage. The slang term is no-fault. This is a coverage that is mandatory $50,000 in NYS and everyone has it on their policy. Even if you dont have this coverage on yoru policy and you are insured in another state… as long as you are driving through NYS, you have this coverage automatically. (Drive through state)

Now, the way it works. PIP coverage is first in line to cover any type of medical bills for you and any of your passengers in your car if you are in an accident. Remember, this is your coverage and not the other parties. They have their own PIP coverage. If you have any medical treatment at all that is related to this accident, it will go through your own coverage regardless of fault (Hence, no fault). There is no deductible that applies to PIP coverage.

The only way your medical bills would go on to the other guys policy is if you make a bodily injury claim against his policy. This is much harder to do in NY than in other states as NY has a bodily injury threshold that needs to be breached before you can make the claim. The threshold is basically a serious injury like broken bones, loss of limb, life threatening or death. You neck pains are considered a soft tissue injury and do not breach the threshold. So basically your insurance will cover you bills and that is that.

There is no “battling it out” between insurance companies when it comes to PIP coverage. That is a first party coverage and is there in case you are injured. There is only one or very few scenarios where your insurance company would go back after the other carrier for reimbursement or subrogation. I cant recall that off of the top of my head as it does not happen very often. Has something to do with the weight of the vehicle.

I work claims for a living so let me know if you have any other questions.

cool. so what the lady there told me was true for the most part, minus the battling it out part. Maybe she was just being general and getting to the point that nothing comes out of pocket from me personally.

Thanks for the explanation though :tup: