GRIP?

Whats the best way to get a lot more grip out of the rear wheels, I ask this because I m trying to get my car ready for time attacks by spending the least amount of money, just so i can get out there. I m worried because when I drive around 80 and make a semi small turn on the road the car tends to want to slide out and a lot of other rear wheels dont have the problem so wanted to know what i could do besides performance tires to help give it the best grip possible. (N0 stupid comments please)

here what i think could probably help in order of cheapness

subframe collars
strut bars…stregthen the chassis so it doesnt twist as much…
hicas rear sway bar
lowering springs(cheap way)
lowering springs plus kyb agx
aftermarket sway bar
coilovers
mulitlink?

Interesting, Thanks man.

^^Actually, the tighter you make the rear end, the easier it will slide out, it will just be more predictable and controllable when it does go out.

The easiest answer for you is TIRES. Get some serious rubber under you there and you will notice a huge difference.

awesome thanks man.

try removing the rear swaybar… that will help the back stay out back

welcome to the design characteristics of the S chassis from nissan. it’s alomost impossible to get the 240/180/S1x ‘gripping’ on the cheap. You need to spend the money to stiffen the frame ( upper and lower), fromnt frame forks, redo chassis-subframe mounts, upgrade all the linkage/A arms ect., Introduce your car to a new set of struts and springs… some foaming and riventing… a bit of gusseting in all the right spots …

… and you’ll have a car that comes close to approacing the grip charactieristics of the rx7… ( FC… lets not even try to compare it to the FD… ).

The S Chassis is a very popular car for drifitng just becuse of the very reason it’s horrid for grip driving… the turning moment is very large. the back end just begs to step out. oversteer is epic ( thank you J.Clarkson) under power.

If you want to get fast times its best you still have more oversteer(back sliding out) than understeer(car not wanting to turn). Fast cars have loose rear ends because loose is fast but not loosey goosey loose like your trying to drift…i like my cars tight :wink: . If you have coils raising the rear end will help greatly…if youve got 17s and low pros(stiiiifff sidewalls) you’ll see even more improvement…the higher ride height causes the the body to lean a more making the sidewall work hard and really bite into the track.

I say you can also improve grip by simply getting a set of really sticky tires.

You’d be amazed how much grip you could get with just tires.

Everyone saying tires is dead on, get a second set of rims, and mount r-comps just for trackdays. Then get coilovers with some ridonculous spring rates and a professional alignment.

you have absolutely no clue what your talking about… slap yourself in my stead … thanks.

if your car is getting loose at 80kph then your rear struts are likely blown.

my beater is like this… everytime i hit a bump on the highway the rear gets all ghey… struts = fagged.

if its the front of your car that gets ghey its likely your ball joints causing the road to lead your tires in various independent directions.

both are common problems.

good tires and fresh struts in the rear will do wonders for your 15 year old car and you should have this stuff anyways.

slap yourself in my stead…wtf is a stead? i dont think u know how to talk…slap YOURSELF…meaning slapping my self…but then u said MY stead…do u speak a eh english?

Hahaha… it’s funny b/c he does, and you just didn’t understand what he said then made fun of his ability to speak.

funny… most people comment on how the fc generally exhibits oversteer where as the s13 generally is an understeering car.

for the most part id agree with that having owned and driven both rather hard in many situations.

GT

adding 50lbs of spring to the rear end ( oem weight balance ) and having a working DTSS system, not the worn out bushings that 100% of all DTSS FC’s have now. will give you an almost perfectly neutral car, once your comfortable with the DTSS.

apparently they chose not to teach the more advnaced words in your ESL class…

slap yourself in my stead…wtf is a stead? i dont think u know how to talk…slap YOURSELF…meaning slapping my self…but then u said MY stead…do u speak a eh english?[/quote]

But as better handling as they might be, they are way less forgiving of a platform than the S chassis. The real beauty of having an S car is how easy it is to fix your mistakes and not splatter the car into a wall when you make them. With that being said though, I still managed to spin mine a total of 4 times in under 3 hours :smiley: And I was trying to grip too, not drift.

what if he lowers the car with coilovers he’ll Get alot of negative camber without using adjustable rucas which is good for grip in corners thn get some sticky tires and some solid subframe bushings. I run this set up and my car will not loose grip in corners unless i absoloutly try to, its also 100% predictable in the wet and has Zero wheel hop

*i’m also running almost completely bald cheap tires, with some good tires you should have maximum grip

i’m also only running 15" rims so the car sits really low

Word on the street is the best handling vehicle isn’t even a car…