GSXR exhaust servo?

Working on a project of mine. I noticed on my k6 gsxr600 motor that theres a valve in the exhaust header where the collector is. I was wondering what the purpose of it was and if it’s really necessary to have it hooked up? It’s always open with out the servo hooked up (due to me not having the servo).

Also would there be much difference in running if I have no converter on it? I noticed the o2 sensor is before the cat.

I can tell you it makes a big difference with out the converter and with a leo vince slip on pipe and most exhausts do away with the servo so I couldnt tell ya if that makes a difference at all

There will be practically no exhaust on. Pretty much header to silancer.

yeah I am aware and it has a low growl sound too it as well

Not sure what you mean, but the engines not in a bike. It’s in a mini dune buggy. So from the header to the exhaust tip is no more the 2.5’ long.

oh boy yeah I was aware of it being in a dune buggy sounds like a good project

not familiar with that motor, just got by your description and the principal of back pressure on an internal combustion engine, I’d guess its closed or partially closed in lower RPMs to try and boost the low end TQ, then opens in the higher RPM range.

May be rather useful to have it working properly in a dune buggy…

Its supposedly there for tq though I think just about anyone that has dynoed with and without exahust valves in any bike has found that with a proper tune before and after it makes the same amount of power, the valve just quiets the exhaust.

Valve opens at a certain RPM, suppose to give you better power since it controls backpressure pretty much. With the valve disconnected i noticed the bike bog until i got into higher RPMs.

If you do disconnect it you will need to retune the fueling or else you will lose power, as Criscone saw when disconnecting it without a retune.

On my bike I have it disconnected and retuned and the only difference is sound, verified by many peoples before and after dyno graphs on Triumph forums.

Correct a tune solves the issue.

I really haven’t delt with newer bikes much. How would I go about getting it retuned? Like I stated before, it’s in a mini buggy so I am really looking to run just the basics on it including a custom fit header and pipe.