gt28rs turbo install almost complete

After fighting with this installation for a couple of months (I’ve been working on it on my spare time and driving my big old audi 5000 around), I’m almost ready to take it in for tuning. Yesterday I was able to finally fit the piping after having to modify almost everything for this “direct bolt on” as specified by a reputable sr20det installer.

Starting off with the wastegate not clearing the block and having to make a new bracket to oil return line not lining up, this has been a challenging but interesting experience. The clearance between block and turbo is very small making it difficult to fit the oil and water lines to their stock locations.
Luckily the turbo inlet had enough clearance that I can fit my intake piping as some people have had to grind a bit in order to make it work.

The turbo outlet piping causes clearance issues too but I was able to use most of my existing piping and fab up something to tie it all together. I’m going to try to get some pics tonight and post it. I’m looking forward to showing up to some of these meets as well as actually drive my car as it has been months.

I should be able to have the car started this week and then take it to red deer to my tuner and let him work his magic. He will have to rotate the downpipe flange to fit up with the j-pipe as it is in a different orientation.

Long story short, I should have learned from all my intallations that there is no such thing as a “direct bolt on”, but oh well, it was a great learning experience and seeing that my friends and I intalled everything ourselves feels great.

btw this is a fwd application, not sure if rwd encounters similar problems.

oh hells yes man

just put a T28 into a ca18 that was supposed to be “Direct bolt-on”

same stuff comes up, definetly need new lines to make it much easier, oil feed line need to be redrilled, motor mount had to be modified a little, downpipe needed some extension, j-pipe and bigger actuator did not clear a\c line and a\c pump so those had to come out…

its very true that there is no such thing as direct bolt-on and custom work is always tough but hey, you know what, instead of just dropping it off at a shop and taking off, u gave it a big try and learned shit load of stuff on it, i say thats much better…

but yea, i know how u feel and good luck with the rest of it man

awwww bo hooo getting mad cuz u had to do a little work :stuck_out_tongue: HAHAHA

jks, good to hear about the gt28rs should hauls some ass :slight_smile: did u get injectors and all that jazz?

My tuner is ordering me some 550cc injectors, besides that I have everything else.

Ya, my gt25r was the same shit. Nothing bolted up like stated on websites and stuff.

ok I have some pics now and a movie of us starting it up after installing the new turbo. Luckily there are no leaks. There is a lot of smoke though due to 2 things.

1. downpipe needs to be modified before I can bolt it up so exhaust is running straight off the turbo.
  2. the paint of the new turbo manifold is getting cooked.

Also don’t mind the crappy job of powdercoating on the piping as I wasn’t able to hang them in order to cook, so due to circumstances beyond my control some areas the powdercoat has been accidently wiped off. And the duct tape on the bov is because it appears to be leaking and we taped it off to keep the car running. All will be evenutally fixed as I am just happy it is running. Now time for a tune.

Also there is a nice pic of my pit with about 6" of water in it. This water came in from the ground not from the garage leaking.

http://atomic.speculation.org/Graphics/Calgary%202005%20Dan%20New%20Turbo/

Sounds mean!

Is the stock turbo I saw down there for sale?

No sorry stock turbo has been claimed already.

Nice Work :thumb

That’s probably why any turbos available outside of a vehicle-specific “kit” can be bought so cheaply sometimes.

I was thinking I could try to source a pair of GT25R, GT28R, or GT28RS turbos for my car, but the fab n’ fit-up required might be a nightmare.