GTA IV downloadable content

Grand Theft Auto 4: The Lost and the Damned Hands-on Preview

Posted by Russ Frushtick on 01/22 at 12:03 PM
                                                       ![http://blog.ugo.com/images/uploads/gta4lostbikes_blog.gif](http://blog.ugo.com/images/uploads/gta4lostbikes_blog.gif)   The concept of DLC is not a new one, but since it really came into the forefront with the whole horse-armor debacle, things have definitely progressed. Sure there’s still school girl skirts on sale for five bucks, or a magic spatula for 300 MS points, but there are also much larger, more impressive DLC projects in the works. Based on what we’ve seen, <i>GTA 4</i>‘s first downloadable episode, <i>The Lost and the Damned</i>, is the most epic DLC yet. 

For 20 bucks, you’re getting a brand new story to play through in the world of Liberty City. Instead of being eastern European badass Niko Bellic, The Lost and the Damned stars Johnny “The Jew” Klebitz (yes, he’s actually in The Tribe), the vice president of one of Liberty City’s motorcycle clubs, The Lost. Johnny has been in charge of the club while his brother, the club’s president, Billy, has been in rehab, and he’s done quite a good job. Forming truces with nearby bike gangs and moving away from the drug trade, he’s managed to make his gang a safe and profitable establishment. Unfortunately, when Billy comes out of rehab things go a bit south. Hot-tempered and selfish, Billy quickly ruins the truce by blowing away a member from another gang, and from there it’s all-out biker gang war. New high-quality cut-scenes and voice acting match the professional level we’ve come to expect from GTA, and they are spread generously throughout the DLC, making the experience feel on par to Niko’s journey.
Unlike practically every GTA protagonist that came before him, Johnny is not new to the city, not trying to make a name for himself. He’s got friends, he’s got a hideout and he’s well respected. Therefore you won’t need to ingratiate yourself to other gang members with mandatory bowling or darts sessions. All of that is still in there from GTA 4, but it’s entirely optional. You still have a cell phone, though, and you’ll be calling in back-up, gun deliveries and replacement bikes when the need arises, but mostly you’re going to be focusing on conquering the 10 to 15 hour long story.
The story is the most compelling bit of The Lost and the Damned. It takes place alongside GTA 4‘s plot line, so you’ll see a lot of crossover, with familiar faces like Ray, Elizabeta and Playboy X. Hell, even Niko is a big part of the game, and you’ll play at least one mission with him. If you recall, Johnny was actually a bit part in GTA 4, in the mission where a drug deal turns bad and Playboy and Niko are forced to escape the cops via a series of rooftops. Johnny was at the deal too, and while Niko and Playboy bolt upstairs, you’ll head down, playing out the scene in a completely different way.

The developers at Rockstar North really tried to advance the idea of this different perspective, even changing up the overall look of the game. When you load up The Lost and the Damned (selectable from GTA 4‘s pause menu), you’ll notice a few major differences. The HUD and the menu screen have a distressed, almost rusty look. It’s subtle, but you’ll likely notice it straight away. The screen’s also speckled with a film grain filter similar to Mass Effect or Rockstar’s own Manhunt. Lastly the developers are tweaking some of the in-game lighting to give the city a slightly different visual vibe from GTA 4. Again it’s nothing major, just enough to make you feel like you’re seeing everything through new eyes.
Other additions include a handful of new weapons (an auto pistol, an auto shotgun, a grenade launcher, pipe bombs and a sawed-off shotgun) and a ton of new motorcycles. Motorcycles have also been tweaked so that they’re much easier to ride and harder to fall off of, which is a welcome improvement that will hopefully make the transition over to the original GTA 4. Unfortunately the new weapons and vehicles won’t be making the trip, at least not currently.

The highlight of our hands-on demo was in a mission called “Shifting Weight.” After a drug deal goes wrong (yes, it’s pretty common in GTA), Johnny is forced to ride bitch on a gang-member’s motorcycle as the cops chase you through the streets. You’ve got no control over the bike, but you can aim and fire your auto shotgun which, conveniently, has unlimited ammo for this mission. The cops throw everything they have at you and you’re forced to blast cop cars, SWAT trucks and even choppers
There’s a lot more left to be revealed about The Lost and the Damned, ranging from new multiplayer modes to gang member advancement, but we’ll definitely be getting another look at the game before it drops in mid February, so stay tuned.

Should be pretty cool, seems like its only for 360 as of now.

Fantastic, I can’t wait! I just dug GTA4 back out the other day to start a new game file actually.

inb4 sony gets it and the xbox humpers riot

makes me want another ps3 tho.

uhm… it will only be for the 360…

Sad thing is I don’t think I put more than 5 hours into GTA IV… same goes with the rest of my PS3 games.

thats not what talks all over the forums are.

I don’t have a PS3 or XBox360 and was thinking of buying one since the 360 is less than $300 now. This was one of the games I was “Must Have” about. Some reason you only played for 5 hours?

Ya i waited in line for it, and pulled an all nighter for it and went to work the next day almost passing out. I beat it in like a week. The game is great but i wish they had a tank and just more fun things to do when not doing missions. But it deffinitly deserved game of the year!

No tank or fun stuff? I have yet to even see the game (sadly) and that shocks me. The tank was a ton of fun in the PS2 versions!

its worth while man haha, you should have played it when you were over.

It’s a great game, however if you have a PC that can run it well, I’d highly suggest picking it up for that instead. Playing it on the xbox, there are times where the framerate chokes up (not all that often, but enough to annoy the shit out of me)… perhaps installing it on the hardrive would cure some of it. It also uses the 360 controller natively, so you don’t need to use a keyboard and mouse

the downside is waiting for the DLC to come out for it (if they do release it for PC)

Jesus… Rockstar and Microsoft have had press releases about the deal they have made that allows 360 to have exclusive DLC, i.e. this… Seriously, are you really this stupid or do you pretend for the attention because your mommy never hugged you

nope, no tank :frowning:

however, you can import custom cars into the PC version :smiley: (including planes, which aren’t in GTA4 either)

that was when the game first came out, if you remember sony was supposed to have exclusive rights to the game and that changed aswell.

You’ll see, and I’ll be the first one to point it out and make you look even more retarded than your posts do.

Also google is your friend, microsoft paid $50m for time exclusive DLC.
Meaning they are getting it first, I wouldnt be surprised if ps3’s came in the form of a disc.

Email rockstar they will tell you about ps3 getting DLC aswell.
Also read some microsoft articles, if they were “positive” ps3 wasnt getting the same episodes,they would have come out and said it, instead of doing all the beating around the bush.

Fanboy.

Did they ever get a patch for the pc version that enabled sli? Ive got 2x gtx285s that I wanna try on it. One is enough…but sli would own this game.

you deff. don’t need SLi

I’m running a single 260 and can pretty much max the game out with 2xAA enabled.

When it doesn’t what do we get? It’s not like you can make yourself look like more of an idiot, so do we get a week or two hiatus from your crappy, useless posting?

The slider wont go all the way over though w/o going over the gb of ram limit. And the texture rendering is slow and shitty. Sometimes you get into an area and nothing is around you. Its choppy and slow too, even with the latest drivers. If im not getting at least 45fps, its not fun to play. Thats why I sold my ps3.

just don’t go over that.
even with draw distance set to mid, you can see pretty damn far.

what textures aren’t loading properly? I have yet to see it on the PC version, and I even have a modded bike with some retarded amount of HP (very very fast)

I dunno, just sometimes at random spots the textures bug out. Speaking of patches though…

http://www.gamershell.com/download_38432.shtml

Edit: Makes my game run quite a bit better. Not nearly as choppy, and it added some new graphics sliders. Id say im probably getting 50-60fps in most areas despite SLI not being on. All settings are at their highest allowed, except draw distance is only at 20.