Gun Control

I guess most of you missed it, but the assault weapons banned signed into law by Clinton was allowed to expire.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5946127/

I agree there should be screening, but as someone going through the process to get my NY pistol permit, it needs to be a bit easier than what this state requires. Even a software engineer from Williamsville like myself knows where I could buy an illegal handgun no later than tomorrow if I really wanted one, but because I’m a law abiding citizen it will take me almost a year and several hundred dollars just to get a permit.

As for assault weapons, I don’t see the problem. If you melted every single one down tomorrow I could still go to my local gun store, break in at night, and arm myself with enough non-assault weapons to cause all kinds of chaos. A scoped 300 Winchester Magnum and a secluded elevated firing position over a busy street could do just as much damage as an AK-47. Add in a few shotguns with buckshot for when the cops try to storm your position and you’re all set, all with legal hunting weapons. My point being the weapon is not the problem, it’s the person using it. And personally, I’d rather have lots of responsible citizens with guns and a few criminals with guns, than only having the criminals have guns.