Gun guys please step in...

I picked up my first hand gun a little over a year ago. I bought a new Kel-Tec P11 for CCW use.

Ive shot 1600+ rounds through it over the course of this past year but I’m getting the itch to trade it in on something else. Im thinking of going with a .40 S&W and the first thing to come to mind was a Glock 27

http://gallery.drfaulken.com/d/398-1/IMG_3684.JPG

My main issues with the Kel-Tec are

1. No manual safety
  2. Feels cheap when handling
  3. 9mm (Cheap ammo but not as much stopping power as a .40 S&W)

Than lack of a manual safety REALLY bothers me. I dont know how to explain it, but accidents do happen and the lack of a manual safety bothers me. Kel-Tec relies on a DAO trigger while the glock has 3 safety’s. I haven’t had a chance to fire the Glock yet but Im hoping some of you have. Anyone have first hand experience with either of the manufacturers? Recommendations for a .40 cal CCW?

BTW: Budget is $500 and UNDER.

If you like safeties check out Springfield Armory XD 40 Subcompact. I like the addition of the grip safety over the Glock. I’m sure you can find it in your price range, just might have to be used.

^^I’ve heard nothing but good things about the xd’s

fuck an auto. get a revolver. .357 mag is a great choice, depending what you use it for. The nice thing about a revolver is they are simple. simple = reliable. Also, you can see the rounds in the gun when its pointed at you, which eliminates the “you’re bluffing” reaction.

Six rounds < ten…

Um… nobody has ever looked down the barrel a glock and said “You’re bluffing”…

Plus they’re heavy.

“Weight is a sign of reliability, but if it doesnt work you can always hit him with it.”

Anyone?

you do realize that heavier guns are more accurate (generally speaking). Maybe I’m abnormal, but I dont need 20 shots to hit my target.

Nah… not u JEG.

Nobody needs 20 to hit a target… but following the first one with 19 more shows the other targets who is boss.

big difference in stopping power, 357 mag vs 9mm… I really dont think id ever want to fire a lightweight 357, that wont be pleasant.

9mm - may have less stopping power, but you can light someone up with a shitload of rounds.

lol touche. Eh, my new rifle is a single shot. Accuracy > all.

Don’t forget guys, that 99.9% of times people have to shoot someone (because there is absolutely NO other choice) in a defense situation, the average distance is between 15-25’. Personally, I wouldn’t buy anything smaller than a .38 special. Its not the movies, You’re not going to have some epic shootout. You will be scared, shaky, and confused. The first shot is the most important. If I have no other choice than to shoot someone, I would want them dead to eliminate the threat asap. (always shoot to kill, never to wound).

Snatch.

i’m partial to glocks myself.

I have a Springfield XD9 SC with night sights, laser sight and grip extenders on each magazine and I love the thing. The grip safety almost guarantees good hand positioning on the pistol. It is amazingly accurate too even at 25yds, and if you’re worried about stopping power, it’s nothing that hydrashoks cannot fix which is what I keep as my home defense ammo.

My pistol has over 2-3000 rounds through it and it has never hiccuped, jammed, or not fed a round. I can shoot it as fast as I want and as many times as I want and never had a problem. I’ve put a handful of different kinds of ammo through it from cheapo brass rounds to expensive home defense ammo and it has fired each one perfectly.

http://www.extremeshockusa.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/product_info.html&setup=1

I wanna try these.

I carry a Ruger LCR .38sp for concealed carry… the gun is skinny and pretty damn light… lighter than the glock 27… the only down side, is it’s a 5 shot. As far as stopping power… .38sp hollowpoint will do quite a job. I picked it up for under $500.
I’ve also been looking at a glock 27 that I could get on the cheap with a LEO disc. but idk, I already have a good CCW. As far as the safety…the LCR has none,but it’s got a hell of a trigger pull (heavy) so with a holster there is no way it’s gonna go off accidently (knocks on wood)

May I also suggest the Beretta PX4…I love mine! Worth taking a look at.

If you’d consider another 9mm the slim-line Taurus is pretty awesome.

http://www.taurususa.com/images/imagesMain/709B.jpg

Otherwise a Glock is awesome.

I also really like Walther’s.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/Walther/upload/images/promos/Walther_PPS_Pistol_Promo.jpg