Gun guys step inside. Sub-compact/compact thoughts inside.

Ok I’m looking to add something new to the arsenal. This gun will play a few important rolls for me, so I’m looking for some input. This gun needs to be easily carried by me, so if I have shorts and a tee shirt on, it can be concealed. The gun has to be a 380 or larger, enough said. Now this is a key factor, it must be able to be comfortably held by my wife. She may or may not also carry this gun from time to time until I get something else. Plus I enjoy the fact that I can own a gun we can both shoot well, and are comfortable with.

As far as price point, lets keep it under 1K guys. :slight_smile:

I was going to purchase a Glock, but they aren’t comfy for the wife so they are out.

I wouldn’t mind a 1911, but I don’t want to get one for concealed carry. When I get one it will be a modified full frame.

We currently own a Walther P22, which the wife loves, so a PK380 is a logical choice. Guns are very similar, so switching back and forth shouldn’t be a problem.

PK380
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/Walther/upload/images/firearms/WAP40000_large.jpg
P22
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/Walther/upload/images/firearms/WAP22007.jpg

We checked out a couple of sigs as well, which seemed to fit the bill such as the P250 Compact.
http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/catalog/product/P250-C-N-detail-L.jpg

Now a gun that really is starting to intrigue me is the Springfield 3.8" XDm.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_jNaNltY46bw/SyJ3_Os_QzI/AAAAAAAAABM/1IsoF0_pFVA/s320/xdm3.8.jpg

Personal thoughts, comments? FYI this is not a discussion on caliber, as I feel a high power .22 hollow point will get the job done.

:rl::+

Lol, Texas.

Sorry, continue on.

I love the sport of shooting, just as much as I love motor-sports. I have my NYS permit, and grew up shooting there as well. I can currently responsibly carry in over 30 states, so why not. If there is a time once in my life where I may be able to help someone, I’d be happy to assist, if not even better. FYI I grew up in Buffalo and have lived in Texas for the past ~2 years, which is actually very nice. :slight_smile: This weekend was 80 and sunny. :stuck_out_tongue:

The Sig, and the P22 are both fantastic guns, I’ve never tried the PK380, or that new Springfield, but maybe see if someone at the range has one for you and the missus to try?

I’m not hating at all, thats pretty badass actually, just the first thing that came to mind when I read the title was “Texas” haha.

Ahhh 80 and sunny… Hopefully not too far in the distance for us canucks.

We own a P22 and absolutely love it, so I was thinking the PK380 would also be nice to own. Here in Texas in order to get your CC you need to qualify with a gun larger then a .357 cal. I completed mine, but we no longer own a gun larger then a .22 Cal. I’m going to the range this upcoming weekend, hopefully we can find a couple to get our hands on and shoot. I’m glad to hear something good about the Sig, because I can’t seem to find too many people who own them.

I hear you! I wish I had my car together already, but that project is still a few months out. :frowning: Oh well.

all those that you listed are great… i think it will ultimately come down to hopefully being able to try them all out and deciding which one is preferred. you’re in texas, just go to a range on a busy day and you’re bound to see every gun known to man.

and you’re definitely right about the .22 hollow point.

Jesus that tripped me out for a second. 80º for you = 26º for us lol.

I should have specified, no it isn’t almost boiling here. :lol:

I can’t speak for the XDm but I have a Springfield XD9 SC and other than NEEDING grip extensions on each magazine for my pinky to fit on the gun, I love it.

Fires quick and has been accurate even up to 20 yards. I’ve put all kinds of rounds through it cheap and expensive and it has never hiccuped on me. I could only imagine the XDm’s are an even better version

Kimber ultra pro carry 45 but might be a little too much of a load for her to shoot… check em out though… it’ll cost you around 1k

Ever tried a Beretta PX4 storm?

Luger :lol:

i really like the walther P22

I have a XD40 subcompact and love it. Screw 9mm, get yourself a 40. I’m able to shoot similar groups with the shorter barrel as I am with a Glock 22. Get it, you will not be disappointed.

I am gonna Lawl at this too… texas
wish ontario was more like this. go all out desert eagles

No mention of the Ruger 380 LCP? I know two people who carry them all the time and with a pocket holster it’s possible to conceal no matter what you’re wearing.

I really like the Kimber Pro Carries, but they are just so damn heavy, and bulky. Not a very comfy gun to CC, plus it is a little heavy for the misses to use. I have my eyes on a Wilson 1911 that I’m going to get soon, but that won’t be for CC.

I have not! I didn’t even know about this gun, thanks for the heads up.

I’m not about having a huge round, with tons of “stopping power”. I can get 11 rounds out of my Walther P22 in a very tight grouping at 20 yards. Even under stress I feel I’ll be more then accurate. I’d rather a cheaper round, which I can shoot plenty of. This will allow me and my wife to be very familiar and potent with the guns we own.

9mm ammo, cheap stuff 50 rounds for $15
.40 Cal ammo, cheap stuff 20 rounds for $15

Big difference. I don’t plan on shooting people I plan on shoot targets. A hit with a .22 is better then a miss with a .45.

I’ll have to look into that as well. Thanks!

being a Canadian i don’t get to shoot very often but i do every time there is a public range… vegas, Edmonton etc.

i’ve shot a few dozen pistols and the one i would own just going by feel is a Sig-Sauer… i don’t know the model but everytime i shoot 3-4 pistols back to back it’s always the Sig that feels the best.

for true gun guys, how are they thought of as guns? cool or Luger?

I think you can tell a lot about a gun manufacturer by the professional agencies that carry them. Sig-Sauer and Glock make up a huge portion of the police and military handgun market. These are people that trust their lives to their sidearm every day so to me their choices carry a lot of weight.

It doesn’t really matter here though because you won’t see them carrying a little .380. Hell, a lot of agencies are starting to abandon the 9mm luger for the larger .40 cal. They have the advantage of not needing a 100% concealable weapon though. For an average citizen interested in concealed carry it’s more about having SOME kind of protection in the rare chance you need it. A little .380 might not be ideal for taking down an attacker but if it’s a gun you can always have with you it’s a hell of a lot better than a .45 in your safe at home. To put it another way… I’d rather be throwing .380 rounds than rocks. :slight_smile:

Kimber ultra carry 2, a little lighter/smaller than the pro carry. This will be my next purchase. I own a glock 23, and at least to me, the recoil on the .40 is noticeably more snappy than the .45cal. I can shoot tighter with a .45 over the .40. Can’t go wrong with a Springfield xd9 either. The new gen of Glocks have an adjustable grip that rocks over the 3rd gen. You might want to try that out.