Looking to purchase a new/used handgun

Well with the upcoming move to Memphis Im looking for a new pistol to carry Im looking for something small, accurate, lightweight and preferably under $500.00. Ive been looking at the Springfield Armory XD series pistols but im not sure. Any suggestions??

Are you only looking at semi-autos?

A Taurus M605 .357 2" revolver was my choice for something small, accurate, lightweight, and well under $500. It also packed a nice wallop being .357 Magnum. I carried one for a few years and shot it at least monthly. Never a problem putting holes in the centers of targets at 10 yards.

If I were trusting my life to a semi-auto, it’d definitely be either a Glock or Sig. You can do a brand new Glock compact or mid-size for right at $500. A Sig is going to run a bit more, but you can definitely find a used one in your price range.

What caliber are you looking for? Are you an experienced shooter? Is the cost of ammo a consideration? With answers to those questions I can recommend a more specific model.

I have a Beretta PX4 storm…nice quality gun. I shot a glock and it seemed really nice. When I was looking the most recommended gun was the XD b/c of the price and quality.

I have a subcompact glock 29 .45 for carry 6+1. It’s a nice gun, picked it up off a state trooper… I think it was under $500. swartz asked the right questions

It’s not exactly lightweight, or really small, but a Tec 9 would serve you well, and can definitely be had for under $500.

Sig FTMFW

Good questions

I am experienced as far have I have shot a gun I do go to the range often. I already own a .40 S&W Sigma. But I wouldnt trust my life with it due to the fact thats its inaccurate as fuck.

I would like a to stay semi-auto.

As far as caliber Im thinking 9mm because of the cost of shooting it at the range. But for the money I save in gaining experiance with the firearm, I lose the stopping power of a large caliber round (.40, .45 etc etc).

I have shot a Sig before and I was very very impressed with its accuracy and balance but the price is just a little high.

Based on these questions Im really going to start looking into the Glock and the used sig.

Thanks for the help!!

please use it backwards!

J/k:D

Come on old lets keep it on-topic

Im looking at this
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=105221709
But not this actual one.

do you really need a .40, .45, or even a 9mm for stopping power? I talk to some people who say a 45 is the way to go, but in the heat of the moment, a miss with the recoil of a large caliber gun will be very bad. A few people in the military that I know all seem to carry 22’s for personal protection. They are dirt cheap to shoot, have no recoil, and as quiet as a bb gun, are easier to conceal and carry, and can kill someone just like the bigger guns.
:dunno:

See you say people in the military told you this. For me there is no way I would trust my life with a .22. For an everyday guy like me I am sure in a real life situation I am going to be scared as fuck if I have to shoot someone. I am willing to bet I cannot aim as good as I could at the range. So I would rather have a .40 or a 9 b/c the recoil isnt too bad and they put you down a lot quicker than a .22. I was talking to my old neighbor who is a city cop and he was telling me about how they got a call for this pile of shit who got shot 3 times with a 9. He said they guy was sitting on the curb bitching about how long it took them to get there. So I would say for an everyday guy a .40 (or something similar) seems to be the best all around personal defense gun.

My SIG is a .40
I also have the 357sig barrel for it too

i have a .45 GAP fire Glock… it’s a good combo because the smaller .45 lessens any recoil… the subcompact barely jumps around so it’s a win win.

I have a .22 and for conceal it’s seriously like pocket sized… holds 15+1 and is semi-auto… the .45 holds 6+1 and is significantly thicker and bigger and is a subcompact!

S&W model 642 if your carrying. Hammerless so it won’t get cought on your clothes. and it weighs about 15 oz.

Carrying a .22 for self defense is a bad idea. Don’t shoot someone wearing a heavy jacket…or strong bones…don’t shoot them in the head…ect.

To the OP: That Glock you linked will do great for you, just make sure you can control such a small gun in .40. It’ll take some practice.

As far as caliber Im thinking 9mm because of the cost of shooting it at the range. But for the money I save in gaining experiance with the firearm, I lose the stopping power of a large caliber round (.40, .45 etc etc).

With the right ammo, 9mm is more than adequate for self defense- .40 and .45 WILL give you more “stopping power”, but, if you can’t afford to practice with your gun due to the price of ammo, you’re better off with a 9mm. A good shot with a 9mm is in way better shape then a poor or even fair shot with a .45.

Honestly, the only way your going to really score a 1-shot stop against a determined, male attacker is with a shot to their central nervous system (brain/brain stem/spinal cord)…in which case it doesn’t matter if your using 9mm, .40, .380, or whatever else is able to penetrate.

That said, when I carried I carried a .357 Magnum…I’d personally err on the side of a more powerful round if you could.

That what I started to think about Im only going to have three fingers on the gun it could be a more difficult to shoot.

I think Im probably going to just play it cheap and stick with the 9mm.

Buy the Bersa that is on here. A .38 has plenty of knockdown power.

Put the Pearce +1 magazine extension on the magazine of a G27 or G26 to get that last finger on it.

BTW, G27 or G26 with short fingers is a bad idea.

Yeah… i totally have to have the finger extension on mine.

Get the XD over a glock, No Question about it.

get a .40 XD 3" SubCompact if you are worried about size/conceal

.45 4" Compact for all else.

I carry a 4" .45 ACP Compact every day, love that gun to death… best semi auto I have ever owned.