GV1390's Trattoria "Racer"

You are also comparing a chopper with a foot of trail to my bike lol. From my understanding, with the triples on there now it not only would be limited with steering angle but also would be difficult to “turn in” or lean into a turn. Granted, this is no race motorcycle by any means, but I surely would want it handling somewhat decent with all the suspension upgrades that have been done. Now it not only will have more steering angle but also will be nimble on turn in.

My point is that you’re talking about very minor changes in geometry without looking at the overall picture.

You’re spending 1000 dollars to move the forks forward 1/2".

If you rode both bikes side by side, you could probably feel the difference.

If you never knew the difference, it’s something you could adapt to and would never care about.

chooch you will be standing on the seat the majority of the time anyways, what does it matter if your hands aren’t touching the handlebars?

Not with this one, not a chance in hell lol.

• Updated - - -

I’m sure I’ll be thankful I made the switch when I track it for shits and giggles.

My whole point is that you might not.

Unless you actually sit down and work out the geometry of YOUR bike and not just basing it off what the internet says you should do you might need negative 100mm offset to be “right”.

Taller shocks in the rear will decrease the rake and decrease trail.
A longer swingarm will decrease your rake and decrease trail.
A smaller than stock front tire will decrease your rake and decrease trail.

All these changes you’ve made are causing very large changes to your bike’s geometry and you want to try and fix it by willy-nilly adding 1/2" of offset to the trees?

Guess what…

Adding offset will decrease rake and decrease trail.

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/50046016.jpg

The rear shocks aren’t really longer, just by about a 1/4".
The swingarm is factory length, just much lighter.
My front tire is smaller diameter but taller sidewall.

We are also talking about theories not evidence here. This shall be a well geometry driven and handling machine. So what I will do is, add a damper and ride it like I stole it.

:lol:

I was trying to help with math last night before Devon at cognito actually cut the trees to be sure.

From my notes, stock front tire of 100/90/19 is 25.09" diameter. Stock rear is 110/90/18 at 25.8"

consequently, that’s what gv is currently running as a front tire…which is a fairly negligible size difference in the grand scheme.

But it at a 130/90/18 rear, it’s 1.48" more in diameter, plus the swingarm is an unknown length over stock.

It it wouldn’t take much to set the bike on the ground and measure swingarm length and put a digital angle finder on the neck to get the angle measurement and measure ACTUAL trail and what it would be with 45mm trees.

The only piece of mind we have to work with so far is that we spoke with Kemp from ripple rock racers up in Toronto when we caught him at the motorcycle super show a couple months ago…he had a 550 there that is similar in geometry as far as swingarm length and shock height, and he had told Gennaro 42-45mm was “perfect” in a track setting for kemps bike…he actually recommended Gennaro do the same for his but tire size differences was not discussed. 1.48" taller on the tire is going to change a whole bunch of shit.

I say measure the neck angle, stock 550 fork length, your GSXR fork length, and go from there with actual math.

The Calfab swingarm is the same length as stock, FYI.

• Updated - - -

Moving forward - I will measure neck angle, swingarm length and GSXR vs Stock fork length this weekend to throw some numbers around.

But you haven’t even worked it out yet. You are literally just taking a stab in the dark, which is fine, but don’t sell it like this little change is going to hone in on some ideal suspension value that you’ve worked out.

For example, the tire you are running is nearly an inch smaller in OD than stock. (25.87 vs 26.58).

I hope the rear tire measurement you gave must be wrong because that tire size is enormous… (5 inches wide and 27 inches in diameter)

What tire size should be used in your opinion with this application?

Either same as front or to get diameter to a better number 120/80/18. If the width is what you’re really after a 130/70/18 would be close in diameter but these old bikes handle better when the rear tire is only one size wider than front…granted with such updated/upgraded suspension components that’s kind of a moot point I guess

smart

Front:
Stock is 3.25x19, which i’m showing as 26.58 (Dunlop K70)
GV running a 110/90-18 as 25.31 (Kenda Challenger)

Rear:
Stock is actually 3.75-18 which is basically obsolete, so 110/90-18 is 26.06 (kenda challenger)
GV running a 130/90-18 as 27.2

So the front tire is over an inch smaller and the rear tire is over an inch bigger. This is a HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Yes. This is what needs to be done, NOT buying parts randomly.

Lol that’s a pretty big “but”

Yes. Again.

I can see @Willybeen just having an internal meltdown right now, LOL.

He’s still trying to figure out what color his bike used to be.

http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36350&stc=1

Ugh I just ate three Paula’s Donuts, I’m incredibly disappointed in myself.

So I didn’t like the chincy look my seat had…a few months back I decided to stop by a friends place to see what he could do with it. I told him what I wanted and he nailed it. Some Italian leather and suede action:

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af352/italiano1390/7000F8D9-268C-425D-82B5-C4CAD9E9CFDC_zpsw54acyfw.jpg

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af352/italiano1390/280B8F63-C53D-42D4-986C-674F6C325C14_zpsfzzs5upf.jpg

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af352/italiano1390/DC6EFF0C-BEA2-41FE-8DA9-7C08A20EC033_zpsyag7v21h.jpg

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af352/italiano1390/DA5690F9-D1E6-43C6-BD09-7AF87A1D694C_zpsczkcoyln.jpg

Been swamped with work, school and martial arts but, hopefully this will give me some motivation to get it out within the month…there is still a bunch to do but there is a show in August I will try making.

dang, that’s gorgeous.

Thanks homie! That was the plan.

:lol: