h22 or ls/vtec boost?

so i keep going back and forth and would like others opinions. the car the motor is going into is a 93 ex coupe. so i am debating between doing a h22 swap and maybe boosting it later or doing a ls/vtec with boost. this car is just going to be a fun car but i really cant decide. i have time and i have the cash to do both at the time. one of the only things pushing me to do the ls/vtec boost is i have the ls motor. anyone have and pros or cons i need some help decideding what would be better and more worth it in the long run. my goals with this car is a nice little drag car really just to hit 12s. so any help would be nice

I’m pretty new to this but from all the people i’ve talked to and all the things i’ve read ls/vtech isn’t as wonderful as people make it out to be. The biggest reason is the LS block is designed for torque and peak power at a lower rpm whereas the vtec head is designed for lower torque with higher horsepower at high rpm. This may sound good but by design the block isn’t meant to rev high and vtec is only engaged in high revs. What i’m planning with my project is an LS motor, replace the cams and port it so it flows better. I considered going ls/vtech for a while and i’ve seen people get way better results either going all vtec or all LS. there are two guys on here going high 10’s one with a b16 with a gt35r and the other with a b18 with a gt42 or something. either way, spend your money on a good high flow turbo and a good tune. If the vtec head and the LS block were meant to be put together, honda would’ve done it. as far as the H22, it’s supposed to be a wiring nightmare as well as taking up a ton of engine bay space which you’ll want for a big turbo and equal length manifold. i’d just boost the Ls you already have.

You know my answer

H22 4 life

ya j i know your answer maybe if you take me for a rip in the ferio ill be convinced. and for the ls boost i still need everything but the motor so its kinda like no matter what i need a swap. but on the other hand i have a 57 trim turbo and all the other stuff for booost except the mani

well even if you had the complete LS you’d still want a GSR transmission so…

I personally have an H22 in my EK, i like it alot- the car is torquey as hell and honestly for a stock motor ( with just a simple dc sports header ) its making decent power 185 at the wheels, when it was dynoed at hybrid last year…( plus that with vtec kicking in late with me running the p28 at 5200rpm) but get a gsr computer it would be kicking in at 4800rpm. ANYWAY, I love this motor but I wouldn’t BOOST it w/out building it some…and the tranny is touchy and doesn’t deal well when abused.

The ls/vtec would be a good option considering the boost factor. I let other with more experience chime in on this swap though.

liking all the feedback im starting to lean towards the h swap cause if i sell all my boost stuff plus my motor tranny and ecu from the ls i will be alot closer to the h

Ls/vtec is hype. if you wanna go with a b-series and you plan on boostig go with a b18c. I’ve done sevral h22s in my old prelude. The ring glands are known to be a lil weak for boost. Plus remeber if you build the motor in order to run diffrent pistons you must sleeve the block. (unless you use the mahle coated ones heard mixed reviews about them) GSR parts are easier to find and cheaper. H22’s are serioulsy lacking aftermarket support compared to the b-series.

or my other option is use the ls motor and cable tranny get junkyard mounts and put a hydro to cable mount and then be boosted again with a month or so and just go ls boost for now

For boost, LS can be fun but there are limits (where’s fmfkid250 or hycomp?). IMO, a b18c1 & < a t3 based turbo setup using 18 psi or less is a great starter setup. If you want more, that combo will easily support 30 psi if you do GE sleeves, injectors, pistons, conrods & ITR cams with a bigger t3 flange turbo efficient in that range (like a GT3582R).

H22 is a great n/a swap if you can learn the quirks of the transmission and want to stay n/a.

I agree. if you do go boost I would buy a turbo set up that is awesome to start unlike what I did. I used that greddy kit for all those years and wanted more and had to buy all new stuff. the turbo I have now would probably suit most people but I dunno about me. we will see what it puts down

for right now i have a 57 trim turbo not sure on the specs havent touched it since i put my car away. im thinking it will be somewat good and alot better than it did on my d series boost i had it on

i would boost the stock ls. fmfkid went high elevens i think on a stock ls motor and slicks in his eg hatch with a 60-1 i believe, im sure he’ll jump into this thread and clarify. or you could go with an h2b swap where you use a b series tranny and the h motor since h trannies seem to be a weak link.

I can’t see spending all the extra money just to have a B tranny. The worst thing that is going to happen to an H tranny is you grind a gear. My ferio has an accord tranny and i grind those edges SMOOTH on 9krpm changes!

I dont have time to go threw all the Bs in the thread,

stock LS-t

H trannys are ok to like 300whp then they dont shift under power

Ok here it goes, 2 years ago i went 11.87@118 on BFG drag radials, there where alot of things going good for me that night, track was fast,my shifts where damn near perfect, my car was setup perfect. and i was revving a stock ls to 7600RPM…this was all with 262whp…

Iff you have a stock ls in your car and running, There is NOT a chance i would take it out and put an h22 in it…I have been there and would not even think about duing it again…Here are some questons for you, Are you keeping Power steering OR AC? is this your daily Driver?

You want to talk about Hype! H22 got is writen all over it…If you only knew how many times i heard people talking about “the soon to come h22 swap” it makes me want to puke…or they say you should put an h22 in it…

Ok thats all i have to say about the H22…I have been there its not my thing…

Ok next with the LS Tech. The ls heads can not flow anything. the ONLY thing they are good for is. Running on a STOCK ls bottem end. becasue in the case you run a stock bottem because the bottem will hold less then the head can flow…

yea i am sure you can port,polish,spring, retainer and cam the ls head. in this case it *might flow as good as a bone stock GSR or B16 head with that said i can move on

LS vtec VS GSR
My Setup is a GSR block GE sleeved to 84mm and i am useing a ls crank so it is an LS vtec…After i did this i wish i used an GSR crank just for the fact it would spin higher…but after duing research Most people use the ls crank because it helps more then it hurts… people are spinning there ls cranks to 11,000 RPM over 800whp…

This is hella mispelled i am sure but it is early for me…

With this all said,LS turbo is you starter way into things. I will tell you there is not a chance any Stock H22 will touch a mildy boosted LS

BTW i have a sweet ass turbo kit for sale :stuck_out_tongue:

i was told by a guy at hybrid that you can’t use a b series tranny with a H series motor. K goes with K, D with D, H with H, B with B.

F and H work with each other.

they sell H to B conversions
and D to B conversions

what about k to b??? wouldn’t it be sweet to have the rsx type s 6 speed on a b series???

that would be B to K

and no that would be week sauce…B trannys are better then K’s