Haha well this is one way to get your name around a company.

:lol: I was throwing 4160V switchgear at the plant in Georgia on Sunday. Despite being the new guy with a couple of OG engineers who have been around for 30 years, I was the only person properly trained and authorized to do that.

I mentioned what I did to my boss and all of a sudden it’s circulating the company and everyone’s going :ohnoes: you can’t do that!

“You can’t do that! You’re not trained and qualified.”
Uh, yes I am. The highest level electrical engineer on the property trained and certified me.

“Oh. Well, the construction manager needed to be there.”
Nope. He had already worked 60 hours that week, and protocol only calls for any Praxair personel to be on site.

“Oh. Well there needed to be a hazardous work permit issued.”
Nope. Only for the first test of the breakers, which had been done earlier in the week.

“Oh, well, uhh, we’re going to have to review this.”

:lol:

Praxair’s attitude towards safety is nuts. It’s funny to see people freaking out over what’s going to boil down to me properly conducting a dangerous part of my job. There’s talk of the VP of engineering getting involved, which people are trying to avoid, but I think would be pretty sweet. :tup:

Did you have to wear thick rubber gloves and a hardhat?

lol… pics of tis said breaker

little boy blue

Not rubber gloves. Electrocution isn’t the risk, it’s flipping the switch and finding yourself in a cloud of burning plasma. They’d just melt to you in an arc flash.

Hard hat. Arc flash face shield. Fireproof jumpsuit. Steel toe leather boots. Thick leather gloves. Hearing protection.

Plus you throw it with a pulley system that lets you just pull a 5 foot long rope.

That little guy on the end with the LoTo tags on it.

480V arc flash

Way cool arc. Probably ~10 kV?

hey you bastard, those aren’t AB controls… I am going to send Ken Campbell after you

by talking to all of these people here, is a suprise they even have jobs at all

That reminds me, he was supposed to send me pricing for ControlLogix stuff.

:lol: I think you’re only allowed on Praxair property if your last name is campbell. This morning I had a meeting with Mike Campbell and Peter Campbell. Now I’m going to fire off an email to Ken Campbell.

Oh and don’t worry, the control system is still SLC’s. Just GE power distro. :tup:

The best representation of Praxair safety is how they put so much rock salt on the sidewalks in the winter that it becomes a slipping hazard.

Oh shit, that’s right. You work here too. Where’s your office? Do you ever have the pleasure of interacting Steve Mitchell?

im all over, IS support, downstairs tho bld 10.

Never talked to Steve

that 2nd arc vid is fucking leet

fucking a :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance:

:tup: to doing your job and causing a bunch of sissies to have a sore vag lol

Another cool one:

Interesting usage of electricity. Haha.

What does the switch energize, a small town?:biglaugh:

I have a 4600v line running back to my house and my electrician told me it could be used if someone built a housing development back there.:biglaugh:
I think he called it a 3-4-5 line.
That was a bit costly running those lines to the house.:redface:

900hp Oxygen compressor. There are also a couple thousand hp worth of air blowers in the plant, but I didn’t get to play with that one. :tdown:

900hp? Sweet.