Hard start, vw gti vr6 (LANGAN JUSTIN pm me please)

Go make me breakfast

You should go get your free grand slam Sean. :stuck_out_tongue:

No way I will be on the toilet for the rest of the week

guess i have to test the coil pack tonight. ugh! have to work OT then i get home and American Idol is on. ahah

Lmao are you forserious

guarantee its your coil pack. my vr did the same thing, and they are prone to failure. if you like the car and are keeping it for awhile upgrade to msd style coil packs. the upgrade can be done for around $200-$250. you’ll notice better throttle feel, and better gas mileage. the stock wasted spark paks in these cars are junk.

a little test to confirm its your pack without tearing into it far would be to mist it down with some water. mine was cracked badly enough that you could actually hear/ see the spark arcing off the side of the head. you also want to look at the plug wires. the insulation cracks and gets hot from where it sits. honestly though, 7-8 times out of 10 its the coil.

HTH

water + electricty = good time!

i think i will actually just take out the plugs one at a time and test them by grounding them and having someone crank over the motor.

how much do these cost?

yes! as ghey as the show is, its entertaining.

have fun electrocuting yourself then. the coilpack has lethal voltage running through it. i WOULD NOT recommend doing it that way. spray it with water and keep your hands away from it. when it arc’s you will see it, and you’ll be fine. you hold the plug in your hand, your running a risk with this type of setup.

if you really wanna test the spark output, get an inline spark tester, or use a screwdriver in the end of each wire, and ground it on the head. if the plugs are known to ge good already, there is no reason to pull them.

take a look on vortex for the link. i believe its titled: “vr6 coilpack alternative” or something of the sort. the packs are like $50 or so each, then you need to buy or make a bracket for the ign. control module. there is a little bit of soldering, and your pretty much done.

YES, thats exactly what went on with my mitsu. it actually FELT different off the line and off a roll.

i never said i was going to hold them in my hands. hahaha

well the way i suggested, is both easier and safer, but its your car, by all means do it however you want. i was just trying to save you some time, and possibly from getting shocked badly LOL

i had ppl tell me to get $$$ ready to replace my coil packs on my motor soon as well.
good luck with yours, man. hopefully itll be a simple and cheap fix :slight_smile:

ok well thank u. so are u pouring water onto the coil pack or with a spray bottle, misting water on it?

12v vr6’s have the coil pack, mounted on the driver side of the head later 24v’s used ignition coils(coil-on plug) similar to 1.8t’s

common fault point on the mk4 12v’s have been the coolant temp sensor, which can bring a hardstart situation, failed coilpack. people have wired up msd or accel coils to work, because they are cheaper and more reliable than the oem VW part. Yetti VRT did it on his car.

brett, the coolant temp sensor, lets talk about that!!!

would this make my fan run for about 7 mins after i shut the car off no matter what ambient temp?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4229350

same as this

I don’t think so. My jetta used to do the same thing. No matter how long I ran the car for, the fan stayed runing for a few minutes after I shut it off. Again, my car had a lot of problems too so I could be wrong.

its normal for the fan to be running afterward for a brief while. that’s a separate relay called the “after-run.” sounds like you after-run circuit is working hard. maybe the car is running hot for it to be running that long.

yeah, i would use the spray bottle method first, to find the obvious problem if your coil pack is cracked, or wires are chafed. this is just a quick and easy way.

the coil pack alternative has been done by a bunch of people with success. if you wanted to you could do that, or pick up a new/ used pack.

i honestly wouldn’t rule anything out at this point, but its a starting point.

well like i said when i made this thread, it sounded like it wasnt getting any fuel. well then i rememberd that the gas was just about empty and it was like 5 degrees out, that and i had gotten gas at mobile in watervliet. so i filled her up last night at sunoco and problem solved. i think i had a combo of freezing gas lines and bad gas. but i will keep u all updated