vw question...

so i have an 02 gti… its been in our garage all winter, and i just pulled it out last week. the battery was dead so i threw the charger on it for a while and it started right up. i drove it over to the house and shut it off, checked the oil etc. so i go to turn it on and it starts up and then shuts right off… it feels like it just stalls out… its weird because it will start up everytime, and it ran now 20mins before… any ideas? im going to post up on vwvortex if no-one has any idea

bad gas?

would it start up though?

yea, maybe some settlement in the tank getting in your injectors making the car stall out

bad gas would be my first guess.

cool i didnt even think of that…

Is the car stock? Check for boost leaks (if its the 1.8t).

that would shut it off… yeah its a 1.8

sediment in the tank shouldnt get past the filter, even if it did, the filters in the inlet of the injector itself should catch.

if the tank wasnt full when you parked it, you may have some condensation. pop some drygas in there.

since the battery was dead, the adaptives in the computer probably cleared and it has to adjust fuel trims as well. that could cause it to run a little wonky and combined with potential condensation and what ill write below, could cause it to shut off.

and last but not least, when you let things sit for long periods of time, they do wierd things. it may take a few drive/heat cycles to get back to normal.

a combination of all of these could cause it to stall.

does it run ok now after a restart?

Bri

no right now when you start it up it just shuts off… im going to trying getting as much as that gas out of it tomorrow and putting fresh gas in it…

yeah that is a little wierd. no cel’s or anything like that?

may be water. even though you are putting new gas in it, still add some drygas.

when i bought my k car off of my folks neighbor and then converted it to turbo, it would run fine till i got on it and into boost. then it would fall flat on its face and my egt’s would fall. it took 6 bottles of drygas to get the years of condensation out of the tank. there was water beaded up in the gas in the fuel filter when i changed it.

brian