Cold is back so is my problem

Last winter I had few cases of my car shutting of as I pull out on cold days.

Today I had the same thing happen to me, I start the car let it idle for 5-10 minutes and as I turn my wheel all the way to the right I hear belt squeaking noise and my car shuts off.

WTH? Does not happen when it’s not cold out.

To clarify your at a stand still and cranking your steering wheel all the way to the right and your engine shuts off when it’s cold out?

ugh

Correct, I put in new battery this autumn (duralast). I do have a steering rack leak now but did not have that last winter and had same issue pop-up.

Thanks for your contribution.

isn’t there a BMW forum you can go and shit up with all your questions? i bet they would have more useful input rather than us ragging on you every time

Another amazing contribution.

id say something wrong with the rack/pinion and or power steering pump. somethings making the pump stall out your engine. have you checked the fluid level?

+1

I drive a toyota forcktruck and if i turn the wheel too far it stalls out!
saftey feature they call it.

How bad is the fluid leak? Did it start leaking recently or was it leaking last year when it did this too? Do you add fluid to compensate for the leak?

My e30 used to have a power steering leak and I had a similar issue until I fixed the leak. In my case if the car had sat for a few hours I’d have difficulty steering at first and the rpms would drop significantly while moving the steering wheel. After moving the steering wheel back and forth once each way it would operate normally again.

Fix the leak and get back to us.

Sound like the power steering is working hard?
Checked all the fluid levels?

Yup you guys are probably right about the leak, I will be swapping rack and pump on Monday.

Just keep an eye on the fluid level and add as needed.

there is also usually a switch that raises the idle at full lock, that could be a part of the problem