power steering problem!

I have a 92 HICAS 240sx. Yesterday as I was driving to work i turned into the parking lot and suddenly lost ALL power steering. i managed to get it to my store, but i noticed PS fluid leaking out of the bottom of the engine bay. and I don’t mean like, drip, drip, i mean like almost straight pouring out. I looked at the pump (couldn’t really take a close look as i was in my uniform) and i noticed that it was covered in fluid but nothing else in the bay (other than the crossmember) was touched. I’m getting a buddy to take a look at it monday and put it up on his hoist, but from your personal experiences, what could this be? pump seal? line?

Also, when i’m turning gently right at low speeds, i hear a squeaking noise from the passenger side front.

Please help! I only got this car 2 days ago!

By the sounds of it maybe someone patched a line with a rubber hose and some clamps being cheap and it just popped off. I dont know if seals and hardlines can just all of a sudden let go… :S Its not a big problem i wouldnt stress out much, PS systems pretty simple to work with and repair.

Alright thanks, I’m taking it to a garage on monday to get it up on a hoist for a better view of things. but any input on the squeaking noise? I’m thinking it could just be that it needs lubrication.

it could easily be the hard line btw. mine did that on my first 240 i drove to school made a turn into the parking lot, went to turn into the spot and no longer had an power steering. after getting out of the car i had left a trail of fluid starting from the parking lot entrance to the parking spot. turns out my hardline had cracked.

My advice would be to add some PS fluid and keep on top of it’s level…because since you’re driving it around, you probably don’t want to damage more expensive parts (read: PS pump) just because of a leak.

Good luck!

i also had the same issue when the high pressure line above the driver tension brace cracked. i remember holding it around full lock when i lost ps too. there was also a small leak around the high pressure steering rack fitting.