Harley Davidson: Breakout

I like their marketing direction. :slight_smile:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEss8H8uxUI[/ame]

Awesome!

Boy, LA is really popular with as agencies for bike commercials.
Why is Lady Gaga advertising a Harley? It’s not going to appeal to their regular demographic, and if they are trying to get younger market segment they better come up with something other than “lifestyle” for 12+ grand a pop that gets smoked by squids on crotch rockets. Very strange ad.

I didn’t realize that was lady gaga.

I don’t think it is, just someone that looks similar.
But I bet when most people see this commercial first thing they’ll think is “hey, why’s Gaga riding a Harley?!”

Yea. At the very end it kinda looks like her.
The bike itself looks cool tho

Its a Harley its not meant to draw a younger crowd per say, its meant to draw a crowd that wants to buy American made motorcycles, and most kids that buy crotch rockets due so because they are cheap, also this ad is for the CVO version which retails at $26K. Which comes with the Screaming Eagle 110ci motor, which by the way will NOT be smoked by crotch rockets, not with 112 ft-lbs of torque at 3500 rpms, I promise you that, obviously it wont come close on the top end but who the hell really needs to do 130+ on the streets unless you are looking to go 6 feet under.

It’s basic economics. People want cheap shit they buy from Asia, they want American made products you will pay more, with that being said the younger crowd will never buy Harley’s because they wont want to cough up the money. But you wouldn’t believe how many people that ride Harley’s switched from crotch rockets.

Don’t get me wrong I miss my ZX10 but not enough to get rid of my Harley. I like riding for 4+ hours at a rip without feeling sore at all. I couldn’t do that on a crotch rocket. And all the BS about you can’t take turns on Harley…I can take turns just as fast on my Harley, they are incredibly balanced bikes.

Just my $0.02.

I don’t see the dudes at my work who ride Harleys finding a commercial like that appealing, it’s obviously not targeted at anyone over 30. As far as where the bike is made - I’m not going to overpay a stupid amount of money for something just because it’s made here, patriotism or no patriotism. THAT is economics. Buell I would have bought, but Harley has done away with that. Not even going to argue about speed, and younger crowd doesn’t want Harley not because its’ overpriced, but because old guys ride them, that’s all there is to it.

That’s like saying old guys don’t ride crotch rockets because young guys ride them. :dunno

Every Harley owner has there own taste in what type of Harley they like. But Harley meets those wants, crotch rockets practically look exactly the same and you can buy fast or really fast.

It’s just personal preference and whether someone wants to spend the money for American products. Obviously nobody on here will agree with my opinion since as far as I know I am the only one on here who rides a Harley.

Call me crazy but being part of your age group seems to have a lot to do with it. For younger crowd that is especially important, “fitting in” is a big deal.

Every Harley owner has there own taste in what type of Harley they like. But Harley meets those wants, crotch rockets practically look exactly the same and you can buy fast or really fast.

It’s just personal preference and whether someone wants to spend the money for American products. Obviously nobody on here will agree with my opinion since as far as I know I am the only one on here who rides a Harley.

To me both Harleys and crotch rockets look mostly the same, so I ride a japanese standard-ducati-wanabe:dunno It’s not so much about the looks as it is about the bike fitting my needs. Some people want to be seen, some people want to go fast, I want to ride without a fuss on a budget. I salute your patriotism, and the way I see it everyone is free to ride whatever they like, a bike is a bike. It’s just a heavy cruiser with no variation in motor types is not the kind of bike I was looking for. For the record, Japanese bikes aren’t exactly cheap either, but at least they have a wide range of options besides the looks.

How old do you think I am? LOL

I’m 28, I’m the exception to the rule.

But yeah everyone will ride what they seem suitable to there style of riding, crotch rockets used to be what I was into and I despised Harley’s, obviously that has changed. I myself could care less about fitting in, most of my friends that ride still have crotch rockets and they give me shit for owning a Harley, but that sure as hell won’t get me back on a crotch rocket.

$26k for a motorcycle is too much money. I just don’t understand how they come up with that price. You can buy an American, union made car, with 4 wheels, 4 seats, full interior, 2 headlights, heating and air conditioning, etc, etc, for $20k.

I like Harley’s, but I don’t understand them. Many of my coworkers own them. They are all old guys. haha.

PS- I like the way they think outside the box with the ad.

I’m the same age :beer
It doesn’t matter what bike you ride: harley or honda, japanese, italian, brit, sport, dual-sport, cruiser, standard, touring, scooter - someone out there will be giving you crap for riding it. Obviously everyone will also have their priorities and tastes when it comes to choosing a bike also. I got nothing against Harley, in fact I’d ride an XR (after changing the ugly exhaust), but I prefer a different kind of bike and at a different price point.
Back on topic though, I still don’t see who would want a Harley after seeing that commercial :lol

I think it works on perceived quality. Slap a big price tag on it and people will think that it’s worth more because it costs more. They definitely don’t pack 26 grand worth of cutting edge technology into it.

There is one thing with bikes that is the exact opposite with cars, value, Harley’s hold there value MUCH better then crotch rockets.

For example, my Harley is an 07 and was $16k brand new, it now has 40,000 miles on it and still values and can be sold for $10K easily. Harley value drops off dramatically once you break the 60,000 mile mark however.

I cant see it beating a modern supersport 0-100… but there are no numbers out on it yet. I think a new 1000 goes 0-100mph in like 5 seconds.

Never said beat!

But I would be willing to bet a 600cc bike would be a very good run.

Is the CVO a different line of bikes? or a like an in-house division? Just wondering.

CVO is an uprgaded line up of the normal line-up, just with all the bells and whistles including the Screaming Eagle 110ci motor for about $10k over the base model price, this bike however is only available in the CVO unlike all the other CVO models.

The thing about HD motorcycles is this: if you have to ask, you wouldn’t understand.