Have an older car that isn't great on gas? They're may be an incentive for you!

NEW YORK STATE – If you drive an old car that guzzles gas like it was water, there’s relief. The cash for clunkers program is underway.

It’s officially called the Car Allowance Rebate System. It offers $3,500 or $4,500 off the price of a new vehicle for owners who turn in older vehicles that get less than 18 miles to the gallon.

A heads-up though. Just because the cash for clunkers program is underway, it doesn’t necessarily mean you can walk into a dealership and take advantage of it.

“We’ve been told the third week in July is when we’ll have all the details of the program to where it will be fully functional and the dealer has everything he needs to be able to utilize the program,” said Brad McAreavy of the Rochester Auto Dealers Association.

The National Auto Dealers Association says issues still to be ironed out including how the dealers will be paid and who will junk the old cars.

What if you trade it in for a car that gets even worse MPG’s? :rofl

shit i should just do that with the camaro, i dont want to buy a new car though, nor do i have the money to buy new

is this on top of the trade-in value?

You can probably afford a new Kia or Hyundai

time to buy 500 dollar pos from craigslist before buying a new car.

I wonder though if they have some way to stop that like saying you need to have owned and registered the car for a certain period of time.

www.CARS.gov

Enjoy!

Trade-in vehicles must be registered and insured continuously for the full year preceding the trade-in

So buy a POS now and next summer trade it in for a new one :lol

program is only good until november 1

the “clunker” has to have an EPA combined rating of 18 mpgs or worse to be able to take advantage of this program…

the 3,500 or 4,500 given for the car is the trade value of the vehicle… it’s not added on top of the trade value of the car… if you have a car that is worth 5k at trade in you are not going to be using the program then… understand

justin’s link to www.cars.gov has all the details as we know them right now… this isn’t as big of a benefit to as many people as one might think

ah, didnt read the nov 1 thing

You and the hundreds of people who call every day who can’t wrap their eyes around the FAQ section of the www.CARS.gov site

if it’s slow at work today i’m going to make a print out for customers… it’s getting to be come ridiculous

“what do you mean my 98 honda does not count?.. it’s all rusted out and blows black smoke.”
“well Mr. customer, if it got a rating of 18 combined mpg’s it would but yours is rated for 25. so it does not work in the program.”
“well screw you then i’m not going to be coming in to buy a vehicle from your dealership. I’m call capital cities and i’m sure they will take it”
“Absolutely Me. Customer. There number is xxx-xxxx. Call and waste there time.”