Headuint crackling?

Im not really a newb when it comes to wiring in a after market head unit but Im having a newb issue.

I have a Clarion DXZ745MP in my car as well as in my GF’s car. Its an awesome headunit for the everday person because it has almost everything you could ever want in a HU.
http://audiovideodimension.com/images/DXZ745Mp.jpg

When I installed the head unit, I bought the adapter harnesses from Circuit city and connected the HU harness that was supplied with the HU by twisting the ends together and then soldering the connection and then I used electrical tape to cover the exposed wire. The only wires I didnt do this too were the power and the ground. For those I used male and female end crimps and then used the electrical tape to cover the exposed surface. The radio in my car works perfectly, I couldn’t be happier with it. However, the HU that is in my GF’s car is having issues.

The volume range on these HU’s go from 0-33. I usually listen to the music at 18-24 depending on road noise, people in the car, etc… When you turn up the volume on her HU, RIGHT AT 22 it starts to crackle and distort. I thought it could be the speakers but when I checked them out, they seemed fine. Then I thought it was the HU so I took my HU out of my car and installed it in her car. Still had the same problem with the crackling.

Then I figured that it was the wiring. I took off the tape on the power and ground and saw that the ground wire seemed to be coming loose so I took off the male/female connectors and twisted the two together and used electrical tape to cover the exposed wire. It worked perfectly for a while but now the same issue has come back. I tried checking the ground wire again and it seems to be in good condition so Im sorta ruling that out.

What should I do next? What could be causing the crackling?