Help~Engine Ticking BAD

so much bad info in these posts holy shit ,trish the k20,s are good for spun bearings they sound like a tick but it travels threw the whole motor .the best way of narrowing down a spun lower end is to start the car at idle pull a injector plug and listen to see if the noise gets quieter do that to all cyl,s if ya find one thats the rod that spun ,ya do that to ttake the load off the cyl during its firing stroke is it foolproof no ya really need to get it to a shop and properly diagnosed .do not take it toa tire center and let some tire jockey look at it they will tell ya it needs a wheel bearing as there retarted lololol.yes dealers can void warr do to aftermarket add ons ,do all do it no but most will esp now that the economy is slow and lookin for money.the only cars that have a overrev sensor in em was ford as there junk .trish if ya can call my shop tommorow at 664-1290 ask for john ill see if i can get ya in and look at it benny will tell ya we are top notch and wont fuck ya over shit i prolly wont even charge ya to look at it

:haha

oh and knock sensors detect detonation and and other fueling issues to adj timing ,not detecting when motors are gonna fail

fuck k20s

If its from bent valves it happened from a mishift.

I highly doubt its a bearing rattle.

Unless a real idiot at mohawk honda diagnosed it they are probably correct. Don’t listen to the service writers about ecu codes and such, sometimes they don’t know much and make shit up as they go along

Either way don’t drive around much as you are pushing your luck with making things a lot worse then they are.

if it was bent or burnt valves it wouldnt idle or run for shit ,

you can tell by lookin at the keycycle counters they have in the comp ,or if the monitors are cleared .but yeah service writers are a joke .shit look at travis he was one .quite the tech he was ha

all in all it could be a million diff things ,spun rod ,piston slap bent valve cam ,cam follower ,timing chain or tensioner .the list goes on and on get it somewhers that aint gonna fuck ya

I have had motors with bent valves on one cylinder still run pretty good but have enough of a bend to increase lash enough to make noise. They also tend to bend the valve slightly every time it comes back on the seat, not a nice thing to bend it back and forth a million times its going to break eventually.

A quick inspection with the valve cover off will tell a lot, if its a misshift the ex valves will be the ones bent. Or maybe its something else and there are no bent valves. Nobody can tell from their computer.

right ,thats why i said to take it somewhere that aint gonna fuck her and the list could be long as what is wrong .seein as theres quite a few things it could be

I don’t know anything about trish or her car but I see a girl drive past my shop quite often in a black 4 door si ? on rt 50?

Exactly, people don’t listen to me when I talk about oil temps, so I just throw the ‘few minutes’ out there. Personally, I’ve found the oil to take roughly double the time to come up to normal temp as the water.

Really for some reason I would think the oil would heat up a bit quicker as all the friction thats going on between the oil and moving parts

Has warranty, drop off at dealer?

How about the fact that it’s oil :rofl

Water heats up faster than oil. Surprise!

stfu benny

srsly I wouldent think it would take that much longer to heat up than coolant/water as theres a lot more friction going on heating it up…

I understand oil is there to keep friction from happening but theres still friction occuring

Gils says lifters too.

and it did, compression test was PERFECT, 225 all across ( si has high compression 11:1 )

No heat shields on my car.

Compression test ruled out bent valves.

I never “bitched” about VTEC not working when cold, I simply said its a known fact and that its good that it doesnt, and that I didnt bother racing someone cause my engine was cold, reference my post if u need to.

Thanks for the advice!:thumbup Compression test was perfect!

Well they were " confident " that it was a bent valve and they were wrong:retardclap

Yes that would be me, on Tuesdays I go to see my bf up at Gils garage for lunch.

so are you thinking its a lower end problem now that bent valves are 99.9% ruled out?

Im 99% sure its the lifters. Ive done some research and it seems alot of k20’s have a oil issue where the oil doesnt get to the lifters like it should and causes them to go bad, which Honda has to warranty it cause there is no way possible that abuse can cause bad lifters.:thumbup

so warranty work looks like a good possibility? finally a break for poor Tricia :slight_smile: