Help me pick out a new truck..Updated 9/13 with new truck piczs

[quote=“87FOXGT,post:32,topic:34289"”]

Thanks a bunch for all the input guys. As far as towing capacity is concerned, the most he will tow is his friends small boat which is considerably less than 5k lbs, and that wont happen that often. Besides that, I know I will use it in the winter to tow a trailer with a few snowmobiles, and we’ll also be using the trailer to bring building supplies once i start building my house. But that covers the extent of all the towing it will ever see, its nothing major. Not to mention his F150 was a 5.4 rated at 235 hp, the Ridgeline 6 cylinder is rated at 247, so its got a slight advantage there, although the F150 had considerably more torque. Still, that shouldnt make a difference here.

The Tundra is a nice truck no doubt, but I think in his case the Ridgeline is going to be the way to go. He was actually talking about just getting a nice car this time around, but the bottom line is he still needs a bed to carry stuff around occasionally without having to sacrifice a nice ride and enough seating room for 4. A big V8 would be a waste for him, as most of the time he is just DDing it to get where he needs to go.

Im gonna be out of town this weekend, but we’re going to test drive a Ridgeline on Monday, so Ill let you guys know how it goes. He seems pretty dead set on the Honda now, but Im gonna make him go to the Nissan and Toyota dealers and at least take a good look at the new Titan and Tundra as well.

Oh and as for pricing, he doesnt care, its really not a factor. I told him to expect to be in the neighborhood of 40k give or take a few grand for a nicely loaded new full size truck, and hes fine with that, he just wants a truck that suits his needs the best, this truck will carry him into retirement and he plans on keeping it for a long time to come.

Thanks again for the help fellas :tspry:

[/quote]

Then get the Ridgeline, nobody needs a truck to tow a small boat or a couple snowmobiles. I tow my boat (~1100 lbs with trailer) with a minivan, a race car too (although I wouldn’t really recommend that, unless you have a dolly)

just my opinion but a truck should not be a unibody, isnt this an easy decision now?

Interestingly, at work they towed a 7,000 lb trailerload of gravel with a ridgeline and said it did fairly well for being 2000 lbs over the factory limit.

It’s basically front wheel drive. It drives the front wheels always and has a diff in the front. There is no diff in the rear. Just a right angle drive with an emag clutch to each halfshaft that can transfer 1000 N*m IIRC to each rear wheel if there is a slip condition at the front.

Oh and for the Russian, the Dakota is going to have no lo range in standard 4wd with a 2 speed tcase being a higher cost option. The single speed may be a new trend in pickups.

[quote=“943kgt,post:42,topic:34289"”]

just my opinion but a truck should not be a unibody, isnt this an easy decision now?

[/quote]

Why not? Cherokees and Grand Cherokees have been unibody for years, GC’s can tow over 7000lbs.

cherokees and grand cherokees=suv not trucks!

on a side note, trucks are used for more than towing. how much shit can you put in the back?

since he clearly does not want an American truck, my opinion will not matter i guess.

[quote=“MikeRi24,post:47,topic:34289"”]

since he clearly does not want an American truck, my opinion will not matter i guess.

[/quote]

ridgeline is built in alabama

I Love my Titan, I get 14 to 17 mpg. When I tow my 2 place covered snowmobile trailer I get 13 Highway. But when I tow my 29 ft camper, I get, (gulp) 10!

FWIW. If he’s looking for a full size pickup. The v6’s avalible do not get much, if any better mpg than the v8.

As for comparison. I know for a fact that the 4cyl in the tacoma gets worse mpg than the avalible 6 cyl.

And, the v8’s have a much better value than the v6’s in full size trucks.
and usually in full size trucks, you can only get a v6 in the bare bones package.

You can get a decently loaded chevy or ford 1/2ton pickup for the SAME price as a toyota tacoma with comparable options.

And with the new v8’s avalible in the domestic trucks (except for hemi) there is no reason why you shouldn’t see 20+ mpg on the highway.

Contrare to what others say, Chevy and Ford both make awesome pickup trucks. That’s what they are known for.

AS for prices, the domestics are a HELL of a lot cheaper than the imports. (i’m not saying they are better because the tundra is a hell of a truck)
But if he is a good negotiator he should be able to knock of 10 grand off the sticker price.

i personally like the 07 sierra denali.

its fits all of your requirments and also has 403hp and 417ftlbs

[quote=“JayS,post:25,topic:34289"”]

And show me any production product where Honda has used GM parts. GM used Honda parts for the good motor in the old Vue, but I don’t think it’s ever gone the other way.

[/quote]

I believe the agreement was that Honda would provide the 3.5L V6 to GM’s VUE and GM “Isuzu” would provide a 4-cyl diesel for Honda’s euro civic.

Update: This thing rules.

08 Ridgeline RTL-loaded with every option and a whole shit ton of accessories. Perfect for what my pops needs :tup: Thanks for the info guys.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v181/87FOXGT/truck006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v181/87FOXGT/truck008.jpg

thats a hot color

awesome truck!

Purdy. :tup:

Nice driveway.

i guess if you have to buy a foriegn truck honda would be the one… nice truck

Sweet!

OH SCHNAP!

VTEK VTEK VTEK!!!