help needed with wireless internet

hey gys i need some help. my family has 2 computers; one of my own in my room, and one that my parents use. i got my own computer a couple months ago and set up the wireless internet with no problems. however this morning my internet suddenly stopped working on both computers. i unplugged the router and plugged it back in which seemed to work for the computer im on right now (which isnt connected by a wireless card), but it didnt work for my computer in my room. so i restarted, tried unplugging the cable modem, reinstalled the hardware/software on my computer, but none of that worked. what can be wrong?

any/all advice is welcome…please help, this is going to drive me insane!

edit: maybe something useful, but the subnet mask fo the router is different than the subnet mask on my computer. does this have anything to do with it? if so, how can i change that setting on my computer in my room to match it?

my computer IS getting a signal. but for some reason it wont connect to the internet?!

well your network most likely should be setup with dynamic IP addressing, so release/renew on your computer… do that to start

are you able to get to your router? aka ping your routers IP address?

^ which is usually 192.168.1.1

linksys also uses 192.168.1.101 or 100.1 depending on model.

how would i go about pinging it? sorry for my stupidness in this area…but when i go to http://192.168.1.1 on the comp that works, it brings me to the linksys settings crap. i already tried fooling around in there, but nothing happened. when i enter it in the wireless comp it doesnt work.

im getting a strong signal from the router to my wireless card, and it shows me that its strong in the linksys program. its just that i cant get on the net at all. the ip address that the router says its linked to is COMPLETELY different than the one that is coming up on my wireless comp.

also, about the subnet mask…the ip it says on the router is 2–.2–.2–.1, where as the subnet mask im getting on my wireless comp is 2–.2–.1.1 (the dashes are the same number).

very weird, but the net has come back on this comp again. the only thing i did was disconnect the router for like 5 mins and then plug it back in. im not sure what the hell that did, but ok, sweet!

thanks for your help, though, guys :slight_smile:

Weird, I hade some major ish going down this weekend as well with the 'net, and it just worked itself out. I’m not complaining, but I like to be able to rely on this stuff and that’s shaky…

got to love power cycling

it happened again that night. so what did i do? a complete reformat. that seemed to have fixed the problem!!! :):slight_smile: