help picking an enclosed trailer

After reading through a number of threads on Rennlist and other forums I think I have most of my “basic” questions answered about buying an enclosed trailer. Here’s a few things I was wondering if someone could shed some light on:

MTI aka Middlebury Trailers Inc - anyone buy one of these? Are they good? In my limited local shopping I looked at an 18’ and 20’ and was suitably impressed but I’m also a self-professed trailer n00b so “looks good” to me doesn’t mean much.

I’ll be towing with my 07 F150 (gas 5.4 v8) and the owner of the local trailer place said I’d be ok up to 24’ but that 20 is probably more ideal weight wise. I wish I had a budget for an all-aluminum but if I had that much cash I’d also probably have an F350 or F450 or similar lol, so that’s way out of the question. Is this correct, that I should be ok with my truck and that size/weight?

Insurance - my insurance company will add the trailer for a whopping $33/yr which is nice, but what do I do about insuring the CAR. I was hoping to take it off the road completely as it’s never street driven, but from reading the Rennlist thread Chris from ProSure.net posted it seems I have to maintain street registration / insurance?? I’m not so much worried about stuffing the car - it’s just for DEs now and PCA’s Yellow/Blue seems a cautious enough group - but more like “what if someone hits me w/o insurance” or “what it vandals burn it down in a parking lot” or what have you.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Dave you can specify coverage for the car when in storage or transportation with your Auto insurance company. In terms of on track insurance there is a great thread on rennlist about DE insurance with good coverage for a reasonable price (in case you have an off track shunt). Let me get you a link to that.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=369921&highlight=insurance

I would’ve though and “off track” insurance would work… something like this:
http://www.smithinsagency.net/racing.html

Oh, hmm seems to stipulate for street cars only on the first page. Might PM the guy anyway and ask.

IMO, if you are going inclosed get something with either everything or enough space for everything.

No sense in buying an 18’ trailer for a 14’ car and then nend up with 5’ of tool boxes, spares, generator, grill, coolers, tires, folding chairs, gas cans, bikes. Even if you don’t need everthing right now, don’t cut yourself short and not have room to expand. Built in awning? Sleeper unit?

I don’t need any of that shit. when the time I do comes, I’ll sell it and buy an F450, a 42’ all aluminum blah blah blah. I don’t even own a spare set of WHEELS right now lol (buying a set this spring, keeping the RE050A PPs for rains - no sense in storing a set of unused slicks over winter). As someone else said, the more room you have, the more crap you put in there, the more weight you have to pull. I have this truck another 30-some months, that’s a variable that almost nothing will change, save someone broadsiding me and wrecking it (lets hope not!).

I’m pretty set on an 18ft from Nyles in Fairport, I’ve shopped around and it fits my budget, seems to have everything I want at this price point and they seem like a quality outfit (Gary, the owner, has been helpful, patient, and seems quite honest). I posted up here hoping someone would be like “oh my dad’s getting out of racing and is selling XY for Z$ etc” more than anything…

[quote=“Maksim2000,post:4,topic:35864"”]

I would’ve though and “off track” insurance would work… something like this:
http://www.smithinsagency.net/racing.html

[/quote]

thanks max, that’s pretty much perfect, I’ll give them a call tomorrow.

[quote=“dmoffitt,post:8,topic:35864"”]

thanks max, that’s pretty much perfect, I’ll give them a call tomorrow.

[/quote]

Place that is Mike posted from Rennlist also offers this type of insurance - call them.

i might be able to get you a deal

dave, Choda has a open, but he said theres a place right on the PA line what was alot cheaper? I knows others have gone to that same place, for the prices they have. just some info.

thanks. any word on what it’s called? google doesn’t know “a place right on the PA line” hehe

Get a trailer with the door as a ramp, the other kind is a huge pain the ass. Towing with gas sucks, see if you can swing an aluminum trailer. The fuel economy increase would really help offset the higher cost of purchasing, and trailers maintain their value pretty well.

*Sorry I don’t remember the technical names, I’m feeling awfully retarded today.

[quote=“Studderin,post:11,topic:35864"”]

dave, Choda has a open, but he said theres a place right on the PA line what was alot cheaper? I knows others have gone to that same place, for the prices they have. just some info.

[/quote]

forbin?? or something like that?? just over the state line on the left before erie?

regular at like 5-6k vs 17-19 for aluminum, I’d have to do a LOT of towing to make it pay for itself. I agree, towing with a gas truck isn’t idea but the truck was what I could afford at this point, I’m leasing it and when I am done, I will upgrade :wink:

i saw your car on delaware ave in buffalo, a week or 2 ago… i love your car…

sorry back on topic… wera.com has some good trailer deals all the time

I got mine at Davis Trailer World.

haulmark makes some nice ones

Ill try to call him, or probally run into him at NYI this week. I havnt seen him online alot this year.