Hit and Run Maxima

I was with a friend and while she was backing out someone hit her. This car came around the corner fast and side swyped the rear bumper. Basically then we got out and asked for her insurance and she took off. So obviously she didn’t have insurance and knew she was at fault. I didn’t have time to get the plate number, we filed a police report with description of the driver and make/model of the car. This happened at a wegmans parking lot in Rochester, NY.

What are the odds the cops are going to find this bitch? I know the odds are very slim because it’s not a priority of the cops and there is no plate number. Just upset for my friend.

Btw it was a beat up Nissan Maxima 1995-1998, missing driver side mirror, rust on quater panels and huge dent in the roof. Hispanic/Mexian femal driver between 22-25.

did you ask the wegmans if they had cameras?

Yes, they did but the security guard couldn’t make out the plate #. And the officer stated he knows the quality isn’t there and he wouldn’t bother even looking. Basically a bad situation.

wait, you were backing up?

that makes you automatically at fault.

Yes she was backing up. I am always confused in situations like this as to who is at fault because parking lots are like a world of their own.

backing up is always at fault. unsafe backing. there is no right away for a backing up vehicle.

however the other person leaving was stupid unless they didnt have insurance. however, alot of time parkinglot shit can fall into no fault situations and both insurance companys lose.

The only thing that lady will get it is leaving a scene of an accident and possibly driving without insurance. The actual accident will likely be put as your friend’s fault since she was backing out from the insurance point of view.

I’d not pursue this.

^ By not pursue do you mean not file a claim with insurance?

And thanks for the info guys I honestly didn’t know about “unsafe backing”. But it makes sense.

dont file a claim, her rates will go up, and unless the car is fucked, id doubt theres more damage than her deductable.

hmmm basically she would need a new rear bumper. It’s got a huge hole in it and scraped up with paint (across the whole bumper)

But I’ll inform her about all this for sure.

I don’t think the other driver will even get a leaving the scene ticket. It’s not a public road. I had some lady drive into me in a parking lot once and the Cheektowaga police wouldn’t even come out to make a report. They asked if there were any injuries and since there wasn’t any, they couldn’t be bothered.

WTF, which parking lot was that? If its in Cheektowaga, the police should have responded. It wasn’t NFTA or Depew jurisdiction was it?

Damn, I knew parking lots were an issue but I didn’t know they would be so insane to determine.

The cop said she fled the scene of an accident, so I assume she would/could be charged with it.

She did flea the scene… However, your friend is likely at fault.

Not sure how things work from there… Its probably going to get you nowhere. Do you have any info, plate, name, etc?

It is actually proper procedure to back into a parking spot because you’re backing into a controlled environment. When you back out of a spot you have no control of who can be walking/biking/driving behind you.

No it all really happened so fast, we didn’t anticipate her just taking off. Of course both women were acting dramatic as I was trying to calm them down, it was actually quite funny. We asked to exchange insurance information and the other driver then took off.

I know that I will always back into a spot from now on. Perhaps that’s what would’ve avoided this whole mess in the first place.

Which Wegmans parking lot in Rochester was it?

From the description of her car and depending on where you were, I am betting she definitely didn’t have insurance.

I have no idea, I am from Buffalo. But it was kind of near University Ave or at least a couple mins from there. But yeah I don’t think she had insurance either.