Hitachi 42" 1080 Plasma for 699 (with sears card)

[quote=“skiboarder72,post:20,topic:39033"”]

this tv isn’t 1080p… they sucker so many people in with how they market it, this is 1280x1080 (useless)… real 1080p is 1920x1080… don’t waste your time, unless you just want 720p… then its an ok deal

[/quote]

at 42" its not gonnab e a huge deal bro…

[quote=“skiboarder72,post:20,topic:39033"”]

this tv isn’t 1080p… they sucker so many people in with how they market it, this is 1280x1080 (useless)… real 1080p is 1920x1080… don’t waste your time, unless you just want 720p… then its an ok deal

[/quote]

by this statement, it shows you really buy stuff based on what is says on a piece a paper, not real world experience/quality.

congrats to typical american consumerism

I would much rather have a Marantz/Fujitsu EDTV panel than most 1080p panels

[quote=“66impalass,post:22,topic:39033"”]

by this statement, it shows you really buy stuff based on what is says on a piece a paper, not real world experience/quality.

[/quote]

I guess I’m just coming from the viewpoint that they are advertising the tv as “1080” when the panel can really only display 70% of the pixels of a real 1080p tv. I’m sorry I like to look at the specs on a television. Now I’ll agree with you that most people that blindly compare specs like response rate, color, and contrast ratio’s are being lead along by marketing, but you can’t lie about the number of pixels a certain product displays. I would be pissed if I bought this “1080” tv to use as a computer monitor and find out its lopping off almost 600 pixels on one side…

I thought 1080p isn’t even noticeable unless you have a 55" screen or bigger anyway? :gotme:

[quote=“skiboarder72,post:23,topic:39033"”]

I guess I’m just coming from the viewpoint that they are advertising the tv as “1080” when the panel can really only display 70% of the pixels of a real 1080p tv. I’m sorry I like to look at the specs on a television. Now I’ll agree with you that most people that blindly compare specs like response rate, color, and contrast ratio’s are being lead along by marketing, but you can’t lie about the number of pixels a certain product displays. I would be pissed if I bought this “1080” tv to use as a computer monitor and find out its lopping off almost 600 pixels on one side…

[/quote]

do you see a P anywhere in the ad? A good 1080i beats a cheap 1080p any day.

[quote=“Rx3,post:24,topic:39033"”]

I thought 1080p isn’t even noticeable unless you have a 55" screen or bigger anyway? :gotme:

[/quote]

FWIW I know that when Ive gone into Bestbuy and they have the blueray demo going on that 32" Samsung, you can definitely see a difference. I think its only worth it when your watching it up close like <4’ from the TV. Other than that, I can see a difference when Im sitting on my couch.

[quote=“DrImodium,post:26,topic:39033"”]

FWIW I know that when Ive gone into Bestbuy and they have the blueray demo going on that 32" Samsung, you can definitely see a difference. I think its only worth it when your watching it up close like <4’ from the TV. Other than that, I can see a difference when Im sitting on my couch.

[/quote]

I can tell a big difference between 1080p and 720p/1080i, I know I’ve owned both tv’s before. From a reasonable distance its easy to tell the difference… its twice the pixels!

[quote=“66impalass,post:22,topic:39033"”]

[/quote]

Yep, every Fujitsu i saw PWNS regardless of resolution… Its a good thing to have, but its only a number…

[quote=“DrImodium,post:26,topic:39033"”]

[/quote]

[quote=“skiboarder72,post:27,topic:39033"”]

I can tell a big difference between 1080p and 720p/1080i, I know I’ve owned both tv’s before. From a reasonable distance its easy to tell the difference… its twice the pixels!

[/quote]

To both of these, I would be willing to put money on the fact that the difference is your source, not the TV.

A good source will net a better result than a better resolution. People don’t understand this concept for some reason, but what ever pay a premium for something that looks better on paper than on anything else.

[quote=“66impalass,post:29,topic:39033"”]

To both of these, I would be willing to put money on the fact that the difference is your source, not the TV.

A good source will net a better result than a better resolution. People don’t understand this concept for some reason, but what ever pay a premium for something that looks better on paper than on anything else.

[/quote]

Say I have a good 1080p source… like a blue ray movie… or a computer, and i put that source onto a 720p screen, the picture quality is not going to be as good as 1080p because you are wasting half the source data on a display that can’t handle it. Also downscaling to a lesser resolution is going to degrade the quality because the video is not playing at its native resolution (gives jaggies on the edges).:nono:

any blue ray player is not a good source, there is your issue, also downscaling does not result in jagged edges, up scaling does.

You are coming back to numbers on paper, not to quality.

I will put my up scaling DVD player up against most Blu-ray/HD-DVD players.

[quote=“66impalass,post:31,topic:39033"”]

any blue ray player is not a good source, there is your issue, also downscaling does not result in jagged edges, up scaling does.

You are coming back to numbers on paper, not to quality.

I will put my up scaling DVD player up against most Blu-ray/HD-DVD players.

[/quote]

Jagged edges are caused by the distance in the pixels (dot pitch) being very high, this is why even the best 480p inputs look like crap stretched out over 42"

All the upscaling DVD players do is use algorithms to try and figure out what goes in between the pixels that the source cannot provide in order to provide a picture that is almost 1080p (similar to anti-alaising). Which is what your tv does anyways. I cannot, like a CRT, change the native resolution, so it must upscale everything to that native resolution. A true 1080p source has information from the input about what should go in those extra pixels, and doesn’t need to calculate what should go in between based on an imperfect algorithm, thus creating a better quality (given the program was recorded in 1080p and not just upscaled and sold as “1080p”).

i have a 50 inch DLP, my father has a 52" aquos(lcd), there is definitely a noticable difference when watching tv