hmm a little problem with suspension install

I got the old strut housing out ok today but then I put the new one in and it would NOT line up with the hub. The shocks are tokico illuminas 5 ways and springs are eibach prokits.

Below is a picture of what it should be like. It should just be able to wiggle the hub into the strut housing and but the bolts through those 2 holes. But, the strut housing looks like it is sitting 1-1.5 inches to low. I’m thinking I need a mech spring compressor and I can compress it and move the strut housing up so it will line up with the hub (axle carriers? i think its called actually).

anybody got any ideas? to sum it up hub/axle carriers is to low, strut housing is to high, shit won’t line up what do I do.

thanks I kinda need to have everything in by tommorow evening so I have a car to drive back to school.

Or if anybody has the urge to help me do this tommorow give me a call 585-317-4806 or aim me LaOsPhOx. I’ll make it worth your time.
http://www.turbomr2.com/MR2/HowTo/Suspension/103-0304_IMG_small.JPG

the strut should not need to be compressed to get it back in, it should fit no problems without compressing it… did you jack up the car by the lower control arm or something? I don’t see why you cant just swing the control arm down and rock the knuckle in… i see nothing wrong here…

try moving the control arm up or down with a prybar

Just pound that knuckle in there man, give it some elbow grease! Had mine off 3 days ago, all 4 when I put in my new Tein S. Techs.

Are you jacking it up one corner at a time or something? I don’t know how the suspensions are set up in MR2s but the sway bar would be pulling the knuckle upwards and making it seem like the strut is “too long”.

^^^ good point

moved.

Agree with Phil/ Newman.

on second look, it appears as though the endlink has been disconnected and rotated away from the knuckle, but I am mostly familiar with nissan and subaru suspensions… though i can’t imagine there being many variations on a mcpherson setup… :stuck_out_tongue:

word…its just a matter…of moviing the control arm with something to line everything up…its really not a huge deal…same stuff happend when i dropped the maxima…either use a jack to move the lower control arm up or plain old muscle

well the picture that i showed wasn’t my setup taht was just a random mr2 so I could show the parts.

what i ended up doing was putting my breaker bar verticle and on the jack and recompressing the strut and just hammering the hub/axle carrier into the strut housing.

edit: finished it had a friend come over who had done it before and he just uesd the stock jack and used that to force the hub down… had the next 3 in no time at all.