Hmm... wtf? Smoke and LOTS of it

Lately I noticed something everytime I look at my review mirror or side mirror. There’s a shitload of smoke coming out of my exhaust, up to a couple of meters high before they dissipate. Had a whiff of it, smells like water or steam…

What confuses me is that it happens randomly, most of the time I notice it when i’m idling for redlight or just chilling in the parking lot with some friends. Sometimes it happens, and sometimes it doesn’t.

Anybody have the same problem? I thought it was the cold weather providing the extreme condensation from our exhaust or something like that. But we once had a nice 10+ degree weather and what’s surprising is that it happened on that warm temperature as well…

Thanks for any help! :A

lol head gasket maybe… or due to parking lot drifting hahah my old civic had that prob was the gasket idle and when i ripped it. sometimes it did it some times it dident… have it checked out sure its not oil? should be the prob tho have somone check it out… go to ART motorsport they good and they dont lie… and fair price if u say rick with blue turbo civic they know me its in their lot :slight_smile: check ur oil see if ur burning any. dunno its weird id have it checked out tho. i suck at explaining things

I have oil consumption, but it’s not through burning, it’s through the pcv. The engine was designed like that I believe.

But if I was burning oil, the smoke would be blue. Since it’s white, it’s usually indication of water or coolant. But when I smelled it, doesn’t smell like coolant nor am I missing any from the reservoir which rules out head gasket.

But I might take it to the dealership… I dont think I’m allowed to let other shops touch it yet since it’s still under warrenty… haha.

poor Z! Damn Dave, you gotta take better car of your baby!:{

are you sure it’s not the uber rice air freshener? haha

What you talking about Jason, the uber rice air freshner gives me 25hp EACH!!!

I think they only reason you dont have any problems is your ceramic tint, since they don’t interfere with anything :i

Today’s report: Didn’t have that much smoke at all… like I said, it’s completely random!! :S :confused:

Dude that sounds like condesation.

If it doesn’t smess, don’t worry.

Does it happen mostly when the car is still cold/cool or shortly after startup?

What’s smess?

Like I said, completely random.

Sometimes it happens shortly after I start the engine. But there was one time I had a 30 min drive to friend’s house and we were in my car just chatting, the car was idling at nominal temperature and this still comes out. But it does seems like condensation. We even found 2 small puddles of water when we came to check it out under the exhaust tips.

Lol - That was supposed to be smell

It still sounds like condensation. And as far as I know water dripping from the exhaust means it is running clean. It is just water vapour building up on the exhaust walls while the car is in idle. Since there is not too much exhaust flow it will not shoot it out of the tailpipes, but when you get on the gas…= water + steam.

I still think you have nothing to worry about man.

Hahaha, that makes sense… So i just gotta blow them out eh… Thanks Cal!

Speaking of clean exhaust, my e-test paper read zeroes under every category :eek:

Yup it’s condensation. I get that a lot.
esp now that it’s cold.

Good to hear! I do notice that I idle my car a lot allowing condensation to build up. (Better that the a new starter…).