white smoke from exhaust.

I have an 89 240sx with a stock sohc KA. I don’t drive the car much since it is in does need a lot of work and will be in storage for the winter.

What i’m wondering is i know that white smoke can easily be the head gasket starting to go. But my car does have some other issues with the exhaust system. I’m sure my cat is not working properly i don’t know if that could have anything to do with the smoke or not.

Any help would be appreciated i don’t want to destory my motor if it is the head gasket. Thanks

i had white smoke at first when i got my car but it went away, check your oil, if its bubbling white bubbles its probably your head gasket

i forgot to mention i cheaked the oil no bubbles, looked good was at a high level as well…

also cheaked coolant it was at the right level and there was no slug under the radiator cap which i have heard is a strong sign ur head gasket is gone.

Also the car didn’t produce the smoke before, it has always smelled (always figuered it was the cat not working properly), but the white smoke just showed up stronger when i ran the car today.

Are you sure this is white smoke? Or is it just steam/water vapour since it’s cold out? Does the exhaust smell unusual?

^^ I’m gonna have to go with this aswell.
Colder temps = more visable smoke.

Might be possible to check plugs for signs of leaky headgasket?
Leaky headgasket could also cause the oil/coolant to mix, coolant would be muddy.

yeah its smoke not just vapour… its not any colder than it was last week and theres a large noticable difference.

I just got a friend to come and rev the engine for me as i looked around the car. at first the car didn’t smoke at all the exhaust smelled fine and was clear.

After having my friend rev the engine a bit the white smoke started, more smoke with the higher revs. The exhaust and general car just start to stink of gas right away.

I’m guessing this is because the car is running rich?

the only change i have made to the car is the spark plugs and that was for newer NKG plugs.

Any help would be great thanks.

Rich would be black smoke.

Revving a car and smelling the exhaust is gonna give off a fuel smell…you might want to get a video so we can take a look and give you an idea as to what is and isn’t expected given the weather etc…

Loosing coolant at all? How does the condition of the coolant look, is there notable crap in it? Mileage on car? Recently have a carbon clean or intake cleanup or anything like that?

I’m sure you’ll figure it out.

Yea i had cheaked coolant and oil before i don’t believe its my head gasket.

Also the smell of gas is very strong, not just the general smell of fuel it strong smells like unburned gas. Standing on my driveway u know right away its not normal and should not smell that strong.

I do have an idea of what it might be though. I took this part off my intake manafold yesterday and noticed that the hose to the bottom spout was cracked and the spout was clouged.

In the pic i’m holding the part upside down to the way u would see it on the car. Its behind the throttle cables and bolted to the intake were my hand is holding.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/tamboman/2ac8f199.jpg

Is this part the Idle Stabilizer valvue? If it is i believe this could be my problem. Specaily since the car idle’s fine before i touch the gas.

Once again i’m not possitive what that part is and i did try searchin the part # with no luck.

Also what is a site that i can host a video on? took a video of what i’m talking about but don’t know how to post it.

Can’t tell based on the picture what that is…

But if the fuel smell is really strong, you’ll probably want to figure that out first. See where it’s coming from. Check the injectors O-rings and then work your way around the system, checking the fuel filter & fuel pump along with their connections/lines and that kind of stuff.

You can post a video on http://media.putfile.com … that’s all I can think of.

Good luck though.

looks to me like the egr control backpressure transducer valve (egrc-bpt valve). the bottom hose is where exhaust gas pressure is present, so if that hose was cracked, then you would have an exhaust leak, explaining why you smelled unburned gas. also, since the actual inlet to the valve is clogged, your egr likely does not work. as for the white smoke, i believe it’s been explained thoroughly in this thread.

hey so i replaced all the hoses and cleaned out the the part.

it looks like this was the major problem it was deffinently the reason i was smelling gas so strong and it also ligthened the colour of my exhaust.

I think my cat is just old and probably not even working anymore and thats why theres more visable vapour

Thanks for the help once again.