white smoke and gas inside exhaust

need help!!!

I started my 90 240sx this morning and my engine started shaking, alot of white smoke is coming out of the exhaust, there is also unburned gas leaking out of the tail pipe. thought that my car was flooded after a bad rainstorm last night but I checked my distributor cap and is dry… when I went to bolt the cap back on, the threaded piece of the distributor broke off so now my cap is held by one screw only. I am swapping distributors but the car is still running bad and the smoke is getting worse.

I checked my oil dipstick and there is no coolant and the radiator/ resorvoir are full so I dont think is a head problem, Yesterday the car ran fine…can anyone help me…

thanks

i have the exact same problem all of a sudden!!! TO A TEE!! what the hell! but i dont have gas comin out of my exhaust,well i didnt really check but i doubt it but i smell gas like crazy tho

How is your cap, mine is dry… lemme know if you find out the problem, I left the vehicle at home hoping that it is flooded and will retry tonight…

i tried to take it off, but it wasnt coming off, one of the screws are stripped so i dont know what im going to do interms of how im going to get it off. BUt it also has a miss on one of the cyliders and i think thats why im getting a lot of white smoke. Or theres no spark in one of the cylinders…im not sure, didnt really look at it much

ill let you know when i figure out how to get the cap off

I just started the car and the miss on mine is gone but the white smoke is really bad, I was told to take the car out for a good 20 minute drive cause the gas in the exhaust is really hard to get rid of but I could only get to the end of the street…the smoke is really bad and embarrasing… Im letting the car rest for a while and try later on

check ur spark plugs/wires if the the spark plug tips are completely black chances are their done if their white it means their overheating which means you have to get plugs with the right heatrange

I will check the sparkplugs… has anyone heard of unburned gas making huge clouds of white smoke when passing through the exhaust system?? due to rain (water) getting inside the engine??

How would the water have gotten into your engine??

we had a really bad storm last night and it really came down, the car was running fine yesterday no white smoke no gas smell no shaking. the parking lot is not level either… when I spoke to a couple of ppl about the problem they suggested moisture in the engine from the rain

coolant burning… head gasket needs replacing.

i wouldnt jump to conclusion…ive heard that moisture can get into the engine from a huge down pour as well…i had this issue on my saab once but it leaked into the cap and rotor and cause similar problems. If your not overheating and if your oil doesnt look like milkshake and your not loosing coolant, your HG is fine.

Ok… so I took the car out for a good run late at night cause the smoke just kept on coming out and I wanted to stop as little as possible… the inside of the car just filled in with smoke, but just as expected, the smoke gradually dissipated and after a 30 minute drive, the 240sx was back to normal.

My guess is that the water from the rain got into the distribuitor since it was only held by one bolt and this made one of the wires/spark plugs fail mking the gas going into that piston come out into the exhaust unburned and eventually making the white smoke

Thanks for your posts

need help!!!

I started my 90 240sx this morning and my engine started shaking, alot of white smoke is coming out of the exhaust, there is also unburned gas leaking out of the tail pipe. thought that my car was flooded after a bad rainstorm last night but I checked my distributor cap and is dry… when I went to bolt the cap back on, the threaded piece of the distributor broke off so now my cap is held by one screw only. I am swapping distributors but the car is still running bad and the smoke is getting worse.

I checked my oil dipstick and there is no coolant and the radiator/ resorvoir are full so I dont think is a head problem, Yesterday the car ran fine…can anyone help me…

thanks

i have the exact same problem all of a sudden!!! TO A TEE!! what the hell! but i dont have gas comin out of my exhaust,well i didnt really check but i doubt it but i smell gas like crazy tho

How is your cap, mine is dry… lemme know if you find out the problem, I left the vehicle at home hoping that it is flooded and will retry tonight…

i tried to take it off, but it wasnt coming off, one of the screws are stripped so i dont know what im going to do interms of how im going to get it off. BUt it also has a miss on one of the cyliders and i think thats why im getting a lot of white smoke. Or theres no spark in one of the cylinders…im not sure, didnt really look at it much

ill let you know when i figure out how to get the cap off

I just started the car and the miss on mine is gone but the white smoke is really bad, I was told to take the car out for a good 20 minute drive cause the gas in the exhaust is really hard to get rid of but I could only get to the end of the street…the smoke is really bad and embarrasing… Im letting the car rest for a while and try later on

check ur spark plugs/wires if the the spark plug tips are completely black chances are their done if their white it means their overheating which means you have to get plugs with the right heatrange

I will check the sparkplugs… has anyone heard of unburned gas making huge clouds of white smoke when passing through the exhaust system?? due to rain (water) getting inside the engine??

How would the water have gotten into your engine??