home audio, reciever problem

Dave just gave me another receiver, but he said it needs a fuse, i opened her up, and it only has 3 fuses, all seem to be well, it powers on, but then immediately shuts off. any ideas? its an Onkyo ht-r500. 5.1 channels, dolby digital, etc.

thx- Ray

internal amplifier blown?

STFU.

give me an im if you need more of those things…

EDIT: lets get back on topic now, i have some music i need to play a little loud, so an extra 200 watts would be nice, someone advise me on whats wrong with this thing.

try turning it on with the remote or go to Onkyos web site and search support

There is something wrong with it, and it is powering itself down. Most likely, if you try and force it to turn on by means of pressing a certain button, it would cause further damage.

You have 2 choices.

1. Get a new one
  2. Fix this one, and no, your not going to be able to do it yourself, considering you asked this question… So, take it somewhere… Are you within the warranty period?

Bust it open and post pics of the burnt spot on the PCB. :tup:

Yeah I got nothing of value to add.

nothings burnt up

when you powered it up and it shut down, was there speakers attached??

if so, try unhooking them then trying it. then add 1 speaker at a time til it shuts down

Right, but something is damaged. It happened before on my old yamaha. It was just sitting there on, doing nothing… I allways kept it on, ran for like 4 years like that. Then one day it tunned off. It turned on, and wouldnt stay on past a sec or so. I forced it to stay on, went into the diagnostic menu, told it to just say screw it, and when it turned back on, it blew all the output transistors. I changed them, and it works now…

no speakers are hooked up to it, theyr all on my 200 watt one for now, i hvae more speakers i want to hook up, so i wanted to use this one.

Usually an amp powering up and immediatly shutting down indicates some sort of protection to prevent damage, or internal damage that is present. Just because nothing appears to have burned doesn’t mean that it’s not bad. Might just be a simple part that needs replaced, a bad connection, or something that has worn out over time and is no longer in spec.

My old Sansui amp did the same thing, happened to have a few bad connections, and a damaged transistor on the main amp.

My old Sony receiver did that, turned out to be a short in the internal amplifier.

well idk wtf t odo. dirty, come look at this.