how cold (outside temp) do you go with s/c?

i know most of you guys are much further north…how cold has your fi setup seen?

i ask because vortech cautions against using their s/c below 23 degrees.

its prolly more of a lubrication concern…

the colder the air, the better the power

but if their S/C’s dont use engine oil for lube then thats probably the concern

May also be that most Vortech kits have the Aftercooler standard or as an option which would definitely freeze in cold weather unless it has additives. (Air-water intercooler)

I <3 the low failure eatons

fuild temp as said
compresser wheel clearence
tune/incressed cfm
concerns

it uses engine oil…and i agree it’s probably a lube issue. no intercooler. (yoww. i just looked up aftercooler pricing)

not like its been a cold winter, but should i get concerned ?

Vortech says that to be overly cautious. The issue is that very cold oil will not lube properly.

As long as you dont start it up and romp on it right away, then you will be fine. On the cold days, be sure to let it warm up a little so the oil gets warm - then let 'er rip…

:word:

yeah id say let it get some heat in it cause the head unit makes quite a bit of heat should heat up the oil

yep, your underhood temps should be fairly constant, so just let it warm up and romp away

how hot do those sunits get when idling or crusing. i can’t imagine they would make much heat when not under boost.

i don’t know, never put my hand on it. i would say they get ‘warm’

but i agree it’s prob more about the lubrication, and pushing maple syrup thru the blower.

so you guys further up north don’t give a crap huh? ok, neither will i. btw, we got our first bit of snow here today…still a balmy 32 degrees.

let the car warm up to op. temp, and have fun.

THen Your next concern will be rock hard tires.

more has to do with most people dont drive their summer car in the winter, so no one cares.

Ok, this has me wondering how GM and others put superchargers on their main stream cars (Pontiac GXP, Bonneville, even a Buick has a 3800SC). I’m sure most of those drivers, especially the Buick ones, don’t have the slightest clue how a supercharger works, and certainly wouldn’t take extra care when it’s cold out. And being a main stream vehicle it’s expected to work when it’s -20 outside.

I would imagine that the factory units have / are built with more tolerance (to some aspect) for sake of longevity & mass public sale. Where as an aftermarket unit is designed as a power adder primarily, a little more caution can be thrown to the wind.

Also bear in mind that with GM, cars built and destined for Northern Canadia are NOT identical to cars built and destined for Arizona.

:gotme:

impeller speed on centifigul way faster than roots some upwards 40k rpm

also the factory eaton cars uses its own oil, similar to a turbine oil.

A vortech kit uses motor oil from your oil pan.

Apples and oranges.

Now that I’d never heard before.

I could very well be wrong. I remember hearing it mentioned a few times, and a rare internet article listing minor differences.

I’m assuming it applies.