How did 1st day go?

i love the fireball. it’s so quiet all you really get is the super sonic crack, the recoil is none, no loss of sight picture at all. the major problem is ammo availabilty and price. the rem accutips are almost 30 bucks a box and they’re the only ammunition i’ve seen on the shelves. if hornady or someone doesn’t come out with some alternatives soon this caliber won’t take off for anyone but reloaders

btw kinda off topic has anyone actually seen a feral pig yet in this state?

I was at Cabela’s the other day and I noticed the lack of ammo for the fireball in .17. Im sure people will pick up on it though …

As for the feral pig … nope!

Cambria County. Vintondale/Nanty Glo/Revloc area. Not stocked, but escaped from a hunting camp. There were rewards for plinked ones.

No **** … I didn’t know that! Must of had holes in the fence somewhere

you read the game commission website and they’re taking it seriously right now, they want complete eradication

Just checked it … wow your right!! … Thats nuts!

aint heard of no pigs running around… but if so i got some guns for it! 12 ga slug gun or .416 rem mag, i’ll find a way to kill them if i see them. where i hunt i doubt i’ll see any large pigs but i’ve seen stranger things i guess

i see the are said to be in cambria and beford counties… my buddy has a camp in bedford that i’d like to visit again for coyote. i’d have to keep an eye out for hogs i guess

a real man would wrestle it to the death. I mean how many lbs. of bacon have you all eaten in your lives. Cant you give the pig a fighting chance at least ONCE?

fightin chance? they have strength and size over us and they should have some mean tusks. they can be nasty animals

We have nothing so gun kinda evens things up

Go after javelina’s … and tell me you dont want a gun with you. Those bastards will straight up attack you!!!

i’ve gotta try some different powders with the 25gr HP. i found a charge with H322 that’s capable of 1" but it’s not as tight as i’d like it at 100yds. the 20gr v-maxs on the other hand are amazing. almost every load i’ve worked up has been sub 1" at 100yds. i picked up some IMR 4198 today i’m gonna try

1" isn’t bad … I personally shoot all of my rifles to 1/2" @ 100 yards … including big calibers. The smaller the caliber the easier they are to dial in since recoil is a lot less of the factor. Are you just shooting off of sand bags? … I shoot off a full rest, that encloses the gun itself, and used fine micro-adjustments to center the cross-hairs on target … all you have to do is squeeze. Takes a lot of human error out of the promblem … although a good flinch will still throw you off.

some guns wont shoot some loads. And not all guns will shoot sub 1 inch at 100 yards. You’ll have to improve on your shooting and also find the loads the gun likes. For a longer range gun, i’d want groups 3/4 inch or better at 100. I havent shot the 22-250 to much yet, but the loads i did run through it shoot around 3/4 inch at a 100 so far. I got a good feeling it will pick up once i play with it more

I also got a nasty custom target gun my uncle gave me. Not gonna reload it i dont think, but i’d love to. Its basically a 22-243. I have a 22-250 barrel for it tho and we may swap out and leave it like that so i can shoot factory ammo

there’s a couple different 22-243s, if i already had the gun i’d definitely reload for it. nothing like shooting your own wildcat ammo, not to mention there’s so much error you can take out by making a round fit your chamber exactly

as for me i’m not looking for the tightest groups or the fastest speeds right now, just ones that will shoot constistantly. i’m only shooting off a front bag and if i get get a .8" in this weather i’m happy. just so i know it’s me not the ammo

as far as i know its called a 5.6/51-.251 neck. basically a 5.6 mm x 51mm case and the neck diameter is a .251". Close to a 22-243 commonly known as a middlestead.

Suppose to run a 243 winchester case thru a 228 ackley magnum die, and then trim the neck down.

its a nice gun tho, but i dont like the stock its a plain factory wood remington 700 stock. But its got a long custom grey colored barrel, straight 24 power leupold target scope and a trigger so light that you look at it wrong it will go off!

I have alot of reloading stuff, still need stuff to get started but i have NO room anywhere to do it. My garage is all car stuff and my basement is all gun cases/computer desks. I’d have to clean up and find a spot down here

My next gun will probly be a 7mm short mag of some sort. Thinking WSM. I like the performance on it and it will fit my needs for a long range groundhog gun and will use for longer range deer gun. I have a stand that i hunt last 2 saturdays that I can get 200 yard shots in the woods :slight_smile: My slug gun is only good to about 100-125 with the loads i’m shooting now. The old load is accurate out to 150 and has good killing power still but thats a chance shot for that gun. Its kinda finicky how you shoot it.

I hope to get a new barrel for it with faster rifling twist to stabilize these fast sabot slugs. My current barrel loves 400 grains at 1700 fps. It shot litefields 546gr at 1450 pretty well too. I’m curious to try the commanders and 3" mag version of the hybrid elite 546 grain at over 1700 fps. Should shoot well in my current setup but certainly is a 100 yard setup. the lighter sub 400 gr stuff shoots flat to near 150-175 yards and some have shot well to 200 with the 300 gr stuff.

yeah i was really hard up for space before i started loading (which really wasn’t much more than a month ago) i actually got all the supplies before i figured out where i was gonna put it all. my reload bench is an old round coffee table that used to be in our living room, probably 3’ in diameter. it sits down here in the basement and i always have to clear a bunch of cloths and **** off when i want to use it. between fishing stuff and all my weights i have a wee little bit of room to slide the table out and cook some ammo

i haven’t even had the .17 but for a few months and i’m already thinking of what to pair it up with for a long range gun. the .223 wssm intrigues me, same for the 220 swift.

22-250?

22-250 is an excellent caliber!

I have my 22-250 sighted in to a point where 3 shots make one big hole. I use the Remington CC table kinda like what you were talking about Mike. I have about a 3 inch group at 400 yards. I use the 55 grain molly coated V-max. Destroys a grounhog anywhere from 150 and out. any closer it just cuts right through. i am hot loaded as much as possible but still being Safe. Looking at an average Muzzle velocity of 3460. pretty damn hot… When we gonna go snipe some ****?

Those are awesome groups Russ! … And def a hot bullet. Just let me know what you wanna go out!