How do i trouble shoot my a/c

My car has A/C but it doesn’t work. Hasn’t been working since I’ve owned the car.

Basically when you put on the ac from inside, via the button, nothing happens. It doesn’t light up the the button or put load on the engine or anything. Checked all the fuses and everything. I had the same problem with my old 240.

What could the problem be, and any possible ways to check this ?

ac compressor maybe?

How would I check to make sure?

does just wrm air blow through even tho ac’s on or nothing at all through the vents?

The little green light behind the button doesn’t even light up?

Same with mine…

There’s no refrigerant in the system, but that doesn’t affect whether the light turns on when you press it…

I’ve check the fuse, its fine.

I’m looking for an A/C relay from a car with a working A/C button light, possibly that might be both our problems.

When the refrigerant is low, the AC compressor is disabled. This is why the light doesn’t turn on. You can hard wire it to check if it still spins up, but don’t do it for long as the refrigerant is also the lubricant for the compressor. Fuck paying $$$ for R12, just try that RedTek kit at Canadian Tire. Make sure you get the oil can too, and fix all the leaks prior to fully charging the system.

how u know where it leaks?. u have experience in this? wanna fix mine?

The redtek is on sale at partsource for 49.99 right now, good luck with the fix, windows down ftw!

^Fuck windows down, you guys definitely don’t drive around much in the heat, do you. Unless you guys are some fresh immigrants from Africa or a really hot country lol.

Keep us updated, I’m grabbing that A/C stuff from Crappy Tire or PartsSource soon too! mine doesn’t light up, most likely it’s because of the absence of refrigerant. Really hope someone can pick that up, try it, and see what’s what before I go thru with it!

Could be alot of things as to why it’s not blowing ice cold.

As for the lighting, im guessing fuses, or maybe a bad ground? =S A/C isin’t really needed, imo, just remove it, less dead weight.

And RED_LINE, driving around with no A/C is fine, even in this crazy humid weather, I don’t know what your smokin’ , but i’d like some :slight_smile:

I just bought that red tek kit last week. Put it in the tiburon. took about 10 mins, ac work nice now. make sure you connect only to the low pressure side. some cans of r12a come with dye in them so you can see where the leak is. Check the fsm there is a trouble shooting flow chart for push button illumination. section HA page 80. gl.

OK, so what happens if when you press the A/C button, the compressor clutch doesn’t even click? Electrical problem likely? I’ve checked the fuses, they’re all fine, as for the A/C relay, mine is a brown one, my dad’s 93 has a small blue one, not even the same number of prongs on it… What are the chances that those relays go bad?

relays dont really go bad very often… unless they are used a lot or get water in them. but try swapping it out with another one. man im telling you everything is in the fsm… flow charts for all these problems… too much to c/p here.

your a/c needs to be recharged

it won’t even try to run with nothing in the system

^Exactly, I mentioned that in a post earlier. XSNRGE, if your light doesn’t come on its most likely not engaging, meaning that no refrigerant is in your system. (leak)

I wish I could get my A/C working too, but 240coupe took my compressor when he installed the engine. lol wtf?

lol, Ahmad, I think there’s also the ‘manly’ version of A/C you could try. Trust me, it works…

On a hot and humid day, roll up your windows, close your sunroof, and turn off your climate control…

Drive until you’re sweating like a pig, or as if you were an overweight dude walking up a 8 plights of stairs…

After that, roll down your windows… ANY moving air is better than the stale sweaty air in the cabin. You’ll feel 100 times better :slight_smile:

EDIT:

I’m still resilient on dropping $50 for the Redtek stuff though… Did it work for any of you guys?

I dunno how people deal with no a/c. Obviously its not death when its warm out, your nuts just get sweaty as hell. The problem is when it starts raining.

Unless you guys that rep no a/c love rain hitting the side of your face while waiting at a red light? lol

Not having AC on a hot sunny day with a black interior makes driving very unpleasant, which is the exact opposite of what a car enthusiast should seek. Fuck the 50 lbs. of weight, that’s like a third of a passenger. lol

XSNRGE, DO IT!!! Get the RedTek kit, I was set on purchasing it, but I don’t have a compressor anymore lol

…use the one with the color dye, that’ll help you spot where the R12 escaped from.

Ahmad, which one’s that? Is it the one with the kit + gauge thing, or the one with only the hose, no gauge?

Also, you coming tonight?

get er’ done boys! …I’m next for trying this shit out!